BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few of the comments in Mango's thread about the cooling system, and want to get mine done soon as a precaution. Are any of you familiar with this process and willing to do some coaching?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've done a water pump and thermostat on a 330xi. Wasn't as hard as I expected. Everything else should be fairly simple. Best advice if you're not good at locating bolts without seeing them is to buy or use a mirror - like a dental mirror.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I live in LaConner, but I did everything but the radiator 2 years ago. I would recomend getting a shop manual, joining the CCA, tons of members in the Seattle area, and find a local independent to ask for guidance. Mechanics will help you out.
The job is pretty straight forward. The difficult part I found was getting the hoses disconnected.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call on the shop manual, I'll go find one on amazon and possibly look at getting involved with a local indy. Conceptually it doesn't sound too complicated, but I'm somewhat risk averse because I can't afford to have an inoperable DD on Monday if something goes pear-shaped. Did you use ramps to get at the more difficult-to reach bits, or can you just reach in and do everything from the top?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The expansion tank may be difficult to get off. The main problem you may come across is that the hoses and expansion tank become "stuck" on and are hard to "unstick".
This may require some creative mechanics. And a bit of cussing too!

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
Where are you at in Sea?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would you be willing to walk me through it one of these weekends? I'd need to get all the parts lined up first....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did all but the radiator weekend before last. Easiest car I've ever owned to work on. Minimal tools required to do this job. I don't have ramps but used jack stands. It's a lot easier on the back if you raise the front end.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try to tackle this when it's nice out one of these weekends. Martin, does the A/T replacement differ much from the M/T fix besides the radiator?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try to tackle this when it's nice out one of these weekends. Martin, does the A/T replacement differ much from the M/T fix besides the radiator?
The fan is different so you will need either a fan tool or a thin wrench to get to the bolt that goes on the fan/water pump

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cap Hill near Trader Joe's. You?
I'm right next to you on 15th - not at all a mechanic, but generally inclined to mechanical tinkering (mostly on stuff like bikes, pinball machines, etc). Would love to help out/learn some basics one of these weekends if you need someone to hold a wrench and swear at stuff with ya.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did a full swap a couple weekends ago, radiator, thermostat, water pump and expansion tank. Most of it was fairly easy, although be careful with the lower thermostat, we broke it taking the expansion tank out, that was a 68 dollar piece of plastic I wasn't planning on replacing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
53 Posts
make sure you replace the lower thermostat since it's an auto, as it will probably break anyways upon removal (I have broken one or two doing cooling systems at work), and they can cause the car to overheat as well. I am in the UW area if you need any extra hands or tools.

-Evan

·
/// Limitless
3,506 Posts
If you want to take a drive to Sequim I'm there on weekends. I've done this a couple of times. I'm not a mechanic by trade but have enough skill to change my auto tranny to a manual and code the car. There isn't a lot on this car I haven't disassembled/reassembled.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got it done today, thanks for the advice and help all. If any of you need any help with this, I can point you to someone who's well versed in this!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts