BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my modded WRX because I felt it was time for something a little more refined like an Audi A4 Avant or an E46. After going back and forth for months, I eventually settled on a 2003 325i partly because the price was right. What really sold me was that it felt like more of a driver's car.

I really liked the styling and the interior of the Audi, but the car was just a dog. It wasn't sporty at all. The 325i on the other hand, was beginning to look dated IMHO and the fit and finish was not on par with the Audi. Even with the 2.5l motor, the non-sport suspension, and crappy all-season rubber, I was pleasantly surprised when I took the 325i when I took it up my favorite mountain pass. I don't know what the performance figures are for both cars, but after driving both cars the Bimmer definitely had the edge. As well it should...it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" right?

Apparently not...after hanging out here for the last few weeks, I've found many of the fanatics are more concerned about rocking 19's, getting a drop, and a body kit. I've always looked at BMWs as performance cars with some luxury, as opposed to a Benz which seems more like a luxury car with performance. That said, I find it odd that there isn't even a performance section on the board in spite of having a good number of M3 owners.

I'm still new to the BMW world and haven't discovered all the forums yet. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place? I just thought there would be more driving enthusiasts. :dunno:

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
that's just 'cause all the performance questions get asked and answered here.

whatever you want to know just ask here, many people can help you out.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Believe me if you have a question about e46 and cant find answer here, then there is no answer. Whatever you need this forum has the answers for it. We are like Stark trek Borg, bmw oriented collective minds

·
Registered
274 Posts
probably should have done some research first...

the 3-series is naturally aspirated, and as is, tuned to near the limit of the engine. for speed, performance mods don't really do much at all. the only real performance route is supercharging, which is ludicrously expensive (5-7K minimum). all the lower-end engine mods will collectively add 25hp, max, and still cost a great deal of money.
that said, plenty of people here do improve the handling of their cars (coilovers, stut-bars, etc.), and that is about the only true performance upgrades that can be done realistically.

the point is, everyone here is extremely concerned with performance (most non M3 owners feel their car is lacking in power), but improving the performance of the 3-series is not a realistic task with any kind of reasonable budget.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Although its true that there seem to be a lot of users here geared more towards looks then performance you can get info on handling/performance if you do a search or ask the questions directly. Maybe the performance addicts are lurkers :)

PS - get an M Coupe if you want the ultimate driving machine;)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Sorry to break the news... but unless you are planning on a supercharger, you wont get extreme results on small mods like you probably did on the WRX.

The most common performance mods done are intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, software upgrade. Search the board for these you will find overwhelming information.

Welcome and congrats on the car.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
There are a fair number of us performance people here. Most performance people are getting it from the suspension and not worrying about power. If you cannot go fast with 90 HP you cannot go fast with 900.

Tim

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,483 Posts
I am a big performance guy....I like mods that ad both style and performance...just why i am getting exhaust, which adds sound and performance, like I have new shoes which widen grip and add style...so performance with style is more my motto...

I think one problem u get with the e46's is that, power wise, u can't really do much but FI...so u can get intake, pulleys, software etc...and get like 20hp...but that's not much considering many other makes, like the A4 1.8t where that car can easily push 300 HP for not too much cash...so a lot of guys on the board skimp on performance and go for more style...Another reason is the e46 is a really good performer, as u have experienced, from the factory...it's not overpowered or underpowered, just the right amount of power...I think this is what keeps a lot of guys from messing with performance as well cause they are overall happy with the output of their car...hope this helps and if u want to go the performance route there are defeinitely a good amount of mods to help u...might I suggest suspension for ur non sport setup...which is what I have and plan to do...

·
P.I.M.P.
2,477 Posts
I think 330's have the biggest performanc market out there atm(from the e46).....325's and ///m3's are getting the shaft sort of. Only now companies are stepping up to the m3, but theres only so much that can be done with a 13:1 compression heh.

·
Super Nintendo Chalmers
2,047 Posts
:werd: Performance parts are extremely expensive. However, you DO have a lot of options. You can always do the intake/exhaust route. That won't get you much at all, but there's still hope. The technik power kits include lotsa different things like cams and headers, plus software that will boost up the performance really well. Keep in mind this is all N/A. Forced induction is also an option, but all this WILL cost you $$$. Try www.renn-sport.net

The main reason why I don't focus on performance is because of the fact that it's expensive. I mean, our cars are already the ultimate driving machines. How much more can you ask for, right? In stock form, they put out some pretty good numbers, so I figure I'll just spend some money on aesthetics first. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Oh yeah, WELCOME!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a great forum but bimmerforums.com seems to have a lot of serious performance folks hanging out. They even have an area for forced induction :)

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
K-DOG said:
I think 330's have the biggest performanc market out there atm(from the e46).....325's and ///m3's are getting the shaft sort of. Only now companies are stepping up to the m3, but theres only so much that can be done with a 13:1 compression heh.
i dont understand why the 325's are getting the shaft..
Arent there more 325s sold than there are 330s?
you would think it makes more sense for companies to cater more towards the 2.5L crowd.

i wish i got a 3.0 but i didnt know better when i got my car
:sad:

·
Track it
930 Posts
BMWCCA

Hey Palabalabana, check out this website for the BMW car club:

www.bmwcca.org There, you will find a link to the Hawaii chapter of the club....it should have some interesting info. for you. You should join the car club...it 35 bucks a year, you get a great magazine each month called Roundel, all about BMWs from an educated enthusiasts point of view....and other stuff...look into it....

·
Like school on a Sunday...
794 Posts
Heheh - this is more of a "bling bling" forum than a performance oriented one. But, there are plenty of performance oriented guys here! :D While the BMW engines may not lend themselves as easily to tuning as some of the others, there's still a lot to do. Suspension, gearing changes, driving schools, and autox or track days can all be a big part of the BMW experience, if that's what you're into (théy were meant to be driven, after all).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. I hope it didn't come off the wrong way. It was just an observation.

I was a little spoiled by the WRX. There was alot left on the table in stock form, so engine mods went a long way. I had an idea that bolt-ons wouldn't be quite as effective with this car and didn't plan to do much under the hood. I am looking at upgrading the wheels and suspension though. I can only imagine what suspension tuning will do for an already great stock set-up. :thumbup:

Here's a pic of the WRX.

·
Banned
8,817 Posts
One thing that i noticed on my 330Ci are the massive rotors, esp the back ones. I mean the front are 326 and the reat are 320. Usually, as seen in the above pic, the rear rotors are tiny compared to the front.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts