E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, having problems with a detached interior door trim on my 2000 323Ci. Tried gluing it back with Gorilla Super Glue (which I've had great success with in other house projects) but it just came off again after a week.

Wanted to see what folks have done for this fix.

I think part of the problem is the inside of the trim is a bit "open" and so the "contact patch" if you will, with the door is essentially more of a thin strip. So, clamps, maybe?

Thanks in advance for the help and tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently fixed mine for the 3rd time using silicone gasket caulk, the previous times I used 3M interior trim cement but that would let go in hot temperatures, this time it seems to be holding. I used duct tape to hold it while it cured

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Whatever you use needs to remain flexible after it dries. Why? When someone enters or leaves the car he or she will usually run against some part of the trim. I used a GE silicone product called SCS 1200. Stuff worx.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever you use needs to remain flexible after it dries. Why? When someone enters or leaves the car he or she will usually run against some part of the trim. I used a GE silicone product called SCS 1200. Stuff worx.
Great point, thanks for noting. Will look into SCS - where do you live, btw? Curious about the climate..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently fixed mine for the 3rd time using silicone gasket caulk, the previous times I used 3M interior trim cement but that would let go in hot temperatures, this time it seems to be holding. I used duct tape to hold it while it cured
Thanks, looking like silicone is the way to go.

Holding the trim firmly in place as it dries appears to be the trickiest part. Want to try clamps but with NYC street parking, can't exactly leave the car alone with door or window open :/ Will try tape, thx..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don’t use glue! Pinch the seal back together with your hands and reinstall inside the portion that goes over the pinch weld is a folded metal strip over time it gets bent out and needs to be re folded to seat properly

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
/// Limitless
2,920 Posts
Don’t use glue! Pinch the seal back together with your hands and reinstall inside the portion that goes over the pinch weld is a folded metal strip over time it gets bent out and needs to be re folded to seat properly
On the coupes, the velour vanity piece is separate from the rubber gasket with the metal grip channel. Early model E46 coupes prior to MY2002 had a problem with the velour falling away from the rubber gasket. The only way to fix it without buying a new door gasket is to glue it back to the rubber gasket.

Over the years I've used several different industrial glues and eventually they all gave way again. I finally used black silicone RTV and it's still holding 5 years later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.