E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom Line Up Front - Does anyone have any tips before I swap out my F/R door wiring harness? I don't want to buy another one.

So, I put in a new window regulator into my '03 325i and broke the airbag connector tabs. That caused the SRS light to come on, it won't reset, and the code shows the F/R door connector (code was 10:06, I think) - no surprise there. I found a thread that shows what the connector is supposed to look like, and mine's definitely missing the shorting tabs. I got the part number from the old one (6 913 080) and ordered a new one because I couldn't find any on a popular online auction site. It came in today so I will be putting it on soon. First, I need to put new connectors on for the main speaker because I upgraded the OEM ones. I figure it's easier to solder on a bench rather than hanging off the door like last time. I need to get it done soon because I got a recall for the passenger airbag. I figure the stealership will try to charge me extra or refuse to swap out the faulty airbag if the fault is still there.

Before I start, has anyone done this in the past that has some do's and don'ts? I'd really like to not spend another $79 buying a new one. I'm not just going to swap out the airbag connector because I don't want to throw a high resistance code.

While I'm here, any tips for removing the airbag connector from the airbag without breaking the fragile tips? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
its pretty easy to remove the harness. just take note of how it wraps through and around it to make installation easier. when you open the door there is a 10mm hexhead that holds the black plastic cartridge in the pillar, the rear doors are easy enough to get to the fronts are a little more awkward. then this is out you can pull the plastic cap out of the door and you can then unslide the 2 sides from each other leaving one end of the plug and the rubber grommet coming from the door itself. Its pretty good in design when you compare it to a jdm car of the last 20 years

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if any of the other connectors are as fragile as the airbag connector?

·
Registered
236 Posts
he one in the sils is pretty good. even my MY00 323i in queensland summers of 45degreeC were still good but inside the doors the plastics has gone brittle. the power windows was good but the tweeter connection was pretty bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it. Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try to take it easy on the connector this time. I've unplugged the speaker plugs multiple times when I take of the door panel. I thought I'd be doing it this weekend, but work let me know this morning that I'll be away. Oh well, hopefully next weekend stays open. I'll set up the camera & takes some pics to share (and for reference).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.