E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the BMW oem lip spoiler tape for my cf spoiler. Do I have to do anything else before installing it?? Need advice(s). I want this thing to STICK and STAY ON FOR LIFE. -Donnie:D

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Clean the surface and then use rubbing alcohol on the area where your going to put the tape to remove any wax and your good to go. :thumbup:

Oh a light rubbing of alcohol with a cotton ball will do and wipe clean with a soft cloth.

AznTitanium said:
Just bought the BMW oem lip spoiler tape for my cf spoiler. Do I have to do anything else before installing it?? Need advice(s). I want this thing to STICK and STAY ON FOR LIFE. -Donnie:D

·
OO[][]OO
523 Posts
wash the area with some dish washer soap "Dawn" (or whatever name that was) , so by that you will strip the wax (dont forget to rewax after the instalation).

BTW I did use only FOR TEST rubbing alcohol on my other ride and don't know why but it does melt the clear coat making it look dull ... or for example it looks like hard water spots ..... !

ps: if you not mind can you PM me with the price and from where did you get the spoiler and if some pix please ...... - I'm after some c/f spoiler like that ! THX ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just put my black cf lip spoiler on tonight. I used alcohol to clean the trunk lid. (I also had a little for myself,lol). The thing to really check is the finish on the bottom of the spoiler where the tape will go. Depending on who you got yours from, the bottom may need to be sanded. Mine had resin or clearcoat on spots along the bottom so I used an orbital sander to make the surface completely smooth, then wiped it down with alcohol. My spoiler definitely bows upward, so I was (and still am) concerned with the spoiler staying down once applied. I applied the tape to the spoiler and then used a heat gun to really get the tape good and tacky. Then just line it up good and sticker down. It seems to be on good but the real test will be when it gets about 100 degrees out and the black car really heats up. Thats when I'll find out if the tape can hold down the spoiler because of the bow. Beware of this bowed feature on some of the cf spoilers being made, this is a problem in manufacturing , as these are oem lip spoilers that have cf overlayed. If you take an oem spoiler and set it on you trunk it lays perfectly flat, but these with the cf overlay bow up so that the center lays flat but you really have to apply alot of pressure to bow it down enough to get the outer edges to lay flat

·
Registered
241 Posts
DropTopBM said:
oh my god... just wipe the area and tape the damn thing on...
DropTop, i'd agree with you if it was a regular oem m3 lip spoiler, I have one on my 2k 3 series, took about 1 min to do the whole thing. But you'd have to see the bow on the cf one I got and I know i'm not the only one. You'd change your tune if ya had to stick one of these bowed one on,lol:tsk:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Guys what kind of tape is this and where do you get it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
go to any bodyshop, tell them you need a piece of 3m double sided tape for the spoiler,take it with you so they can see how much ya need and they'll probably give it to ya for free

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you mean, the cf spoiler is flat vs your rear trunk of the car. You have to push one side down. It sucks. Not sure if the tape would hold it. But thanks for all the advices. Will try the sanding and alcohol on the bottom of the spoiler. THANKS!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts