311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally broke it off the battery connection
<p>

:facepalm:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know for sure, but a quick look on Realoem, makes me think it is the trigger wire for the explosive cable disconnet. In the event of a severe enough accident the airbag system sends a signal down that wire to trigger a small explosive charge to cut the main power cable. The idea being, it prevents an electrical fire. It does however prevent the car from being re-started once triggered and need to be replaced ($500 I think).

·
Registered
209 Posts
^ if that is true that is pretty BA. I want to see those being tested. Lol kinda ironic that they would explode the battery terminal to avoid explosive vapors or gasses being triggered by a spark.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Does your airbag light stay on? If the airbag light stays off, then all electrical circuits will stay on in an accident and the repair costs of the accident will be lower. Let us know about the airbag light!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the air bag light is on. But it's been on prior to the wire being disconnected.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yea, it is part of the battery disconnect for the airbag system. Anything in your car that is yellow is an airbag components.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i just digged this topic up today cuz i was in an accident yesterday and my airbags deployed..the damage was little but the car shut down...and red main wire was the problem....it got disconnected by the spark wire(yellow)..... and wudnt start..came home and hardwired it back and the car started again....

·
Registered
148 Posts
That wire connect to the SRS ( safety Restrain airbag system ) , when car has accident , airbag blow up, the SRS send signal to that connector, blow up the connection inside/between the bid RED wire from + battery terminal to avoid fire ( the other small wire stil connect to batery to supply other feature funtion like raddio, power losck . ect... )
I had accident before (rear ended) and this one disconnect, car can not start .
You can leave it as is, or fix the connector, It @[email protected]#%$$&%%*&*) that the cable $500, rip off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts