E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I might inquire if any one who has done a build recently has a set of rust free springs laying around. I'm loath to put these back on after a full rear rubber refresh. It would be for an '04 rwd manual sport wagon, which as shown are the 2 brown/gold stripes.

Related, I still can't figure out the before/after of the H&R 29419, as they mention a drop of 1.3"/1.2" F/R respectively, but H&R confirmed that it's likely different between sport and non, but don't have the values like they do for 29484. Since I don't want the rear to be 1.2" lower, I'm leaning towards stock.

White Light Font Auto part Circle

·
Registered
B30swapped, ZF 6spd, M3 LSD
121 Posts
For a few net millimeters I would consider it, but not for potentially a full inch.
I understand your concern, but you have to take the geometry into factor. A 1mm thicker at the spring pads raises the car 2mm.
Spring pads come in 5, 10, 15, 20mm thicknesses. If you want 20mm of additional ride height, go to a 15mm spring pad.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I have the H&R 29484 and they are around 1" lower than stock sport springs and borderline too low. I'm actually planning on changing them out soon because of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand your concern, but you have to take in the geometry into factor. 1mm thicker at the spring pad raises the car 2mm.
Because the distance between the tire and upper control arm subframe pivot point is twice the distance of the spring to control arm pivot? Interesting to note if that holds true and that would alleviate some of my concern of having too thick of a shim, thanks.

Are you looking for freebies or to buy?
There is a distinction here, so make that clear.
Yes to either. If there is market for these obscure springs and the H&Rs + shims don't seem like the best way (or re-using the old ones), I'd be interested to buy for the right price. That being said, I've been in the position before of replacing stock springs and having them on a shelf somewhere and was just fine to give them to someone local. Apologies if this should have been in a different sub-forum, but at the end if no one has any, it will be moot either way.

I have the H&R 29484 and they are around 1" lower than stock sport springs and borderline too low. I'm actually planning on changing them out soon because of that.
That's exactly the situation I want to avoid. Any reason you went with the 29484 instead of the 29419 on your touring? Any reason you haven't tried the shim solution mentioned earlier?

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I actually ended up stacking two 5mm spring pads and it helped a little. Too much and you'll have a goofy rake, like an old muscle car. Spring pads can help the rear, but there isn't a fix for the front. I was younger when I bought the cup kit and didn't pay attention to the drop, plain and simple. 8+ years ago I was barely over 30, not yet married, no family, etc. Now I'm over 40, have a kid, and just don't want something that low anymore. The car looks great on them, but it just doesn't make sense.

Random FYI, this my 3rd E46 on this same set of H&R springs. They keep getting transferred to the next after cars have been wrecked. Probably a solid 80k miles on them and they are still in pretty darned good condition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Related, this sort of confirms my suspicion that the quoted drop of .25" rear for the 29484, relative to 'sport package' vehicles, is not true for wagons. Which opens another line of questioning, does anyone know the stock drop between sport and non-sport package e46 rwd tourings?

Anyways, I need to pull the front struts off this weekend and assess those springs, and I'll let this inquiry percolate until then, and make a call in some direction. Thanks for the insights thus far.

·
Administrator
20,283 Posts
Yes to either. If there is market for these obscure springs and the H&Rs + shims don't seem like the best way (or re-using the old ones), I'd be interested to buy for the right price. That being said, I've been in the position before of replacing stock springs and having them on a shelf somewhere and was just fine to give them to someone local. Apologies if this should have been in a different sub-forum, but at the end if no one has any, it will be moot either way.
It is fine. I would search through the Classifieds for what you are looking for.
If you don’t see it in there, make a WTB thread and someone may have it.
Any for sale or want to buy thread/post must be in Classifieds though.

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
496 Posts
Related, this sort of confirms my suspicion that the quoted drop of .25" rear for the 29484, relative to 'sport package' vehicles, is not true for wagons. Which opens another line of questioning, does anyone know the stock drop between sport and non-sport package e46 rwd tourings?

Anyways, I need to pull the front struts off this weekend and assess those springs, and I'll let this inquiry percolate until then, and make a call in some direction. Thanks for the insights thus far.
16 mm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any source for this info? Would be great to confirm, this is something I hadn't found so far.

Relative to the original post, I've re-used the stock springs for now (with a little rattle can to slow the rust). Will re-assess after the an alignment and the suspension settles a bit (after 150k miles on the original suspension, new rubber everywhere raised it more than I thought, so need some more miles to make a final assessment). Thanks to all for the input, and any future WTB will be in the correct sub-forum.

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
496 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thank you! I had never come across those, much obliged.

·
Registered
'04 330Cic | '03 Touring 330i 5sp Swap
116 Posts
I'll check my wagon tonight. I've got an '03 325i wagon with factory sport suspension that's coming out in the next few days.
Sure enough, I’ve got the springs you’re after. I’ll post back if they’re in good enough shape. not expecting any issues since it’s originally from Cali and was garaged for 105k. I’ve not had to deal with any rust anywhere else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure enough, I’ve got the springs you’re after. I’ll post back if they’re in good enough shape. not expecting any issues since it’s originally from Cali and was garaged for 105k. I’ve not had to deal with any rust anywhere else.
Thanks for confirming. Did they come out yet and if so, what shape are they in? Also, I'm curious, what are you replacing them with?

·
Registered
'04 330Cic | '03 Touring 330i 5sp Swap
116 Posts
Thanks for confirming. Did they come out yet and if so, what shape are they in? Also, I'm curious, what are you replacing them with?
they’re in pretty good shape. There’s very little paint issue or rust, but there is a small amount right where the spring touches the upper pad.

I’ve got the eibach pro line springs going in with a 30mm pad to undo most of the rear lowering - it looks to be maybe .25” or .5” lower side by side, but the pro line springs are a little stiffer than factory. I’ve got the same springs and dampers on my convertible and love it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts