E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purcahsing an E46 M3. Here is a picture of the under carriage of a 2003 E46 convertible taken from the rear of the car.
I'm not sure if that's oil on the bottom of the differential cover (?) - do you see anything wrong? Apologies but just have this one picture to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I am thinking of purcahsing an E46 M3. Here is a picture of the under carriage of a 2003 E46 convertible taken from the rear of the car.
I'm not sure if that's oil on the bottom of the differential cover (?) - do you see anything wrong? Apologies but just have this one picture to share.
The diff looks pretty clean to me to be fair. But most oil leaks are going to be under the engine bay. Things like the oil filter housing gasket, the valve cover gasket, crankshaft oil seals usually the culprit. Can't tell from that picture but if you drop the gravel shield underneath the engine bay any leaks will be obvious.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,789 Posts
Three letters:

PPI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The diff looks pretty clean to me to be fair. But most oil leaks are going to be under the engine bay. Things like the oil filter housing gasket, the valve cover gasket, crankshaft oil seals usually the culprit. Can't tell from that picture but if you drop the gravel shield underneath the engine bay any leaks will be obvious.
Thanks. Just under the diff body, I see black marks, could that be diff oil?

@MrMCar I will be getting an inspection done tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Probably just slung oil traveling back from somewhere upfront

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
It looks clean to me, but there are more important parts to check than just some dirty oil on the diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts