BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...Ok here is my problem ....I just got my first BMW about a month ago....within the first week it started to overheat so after doing alot of searchingon here i replaced the thermostat and everything seemed good ...a few days later it overheated again so i then replaced the waterpump the car did hit the red on the temp gauge but was immed pulled over and shut down and allowed to cool........ after the water pump was replaced car ran great for about 2 weeks....well tonight it decided to overheat again ....i do see coolant coming out of the rad cap but other than that i dont really see any other leaks or anything else ........so any suggestion would be really appreciated ....thanks .......

·
Registered
892 Posts
A lot of people overlook this but try checking the radiator cap. I kinda ascts like the thermostat...when it heats up it opens and releases the pressure into the overflow tank. Also I don't know if BMW has this (probably does) cause I'm also new to BMW but on my old honda I had a bleeder valve that I could bleed the air out of the cooling system.:thumbsup:

Good luck and keep us updated
Chuck

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yup, the radiator cap can be a overlooked very easily! You should be able to have it tested at an autoparts store.

·
Banned
448 Posts
your problem is that you did not CORRECTLY bleed your cooling systems. there are air pockets that is causing you to overheat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your problem is that you did not CORRECTLY bleed your cooling systems. there are air pockets that is causing you to overheat.
ill try bleeding again ...i was thinking i might not of after tonight i cracked open the bleed valve and did get some air out ....i did see some coolant around the rad cap tonight also....... i dont think its a crack in the res and was thinking it might be the cap ill be gettin that thing checked tomorrow hope thats all it is other than that its been running pretty good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

well bled the system again and replaced the rad cap and everything seems to be all better now so far lets see how things are in a few more days but so far everything seems to be much better than before thanks for everyones input ...this site is the best ........ :thumbsup: to all of ya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts