BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of posts have me wondering. I've seen the 328i's get way up there, same with the newer 330's and 325's, but I have yet to see someone with high mileage on say an 01 or 02 330i.

Let me explain my reasoning: Old style oil pump nut, questionable subframe, first years in the e46 for drive by wire, dsc(at least standard) etc.

I'm over 120k on mine now, and want to keep it *at least* another 100k. I need to stop reading this forum it scares the *#*# out of me :censor: . I need to just drive it like a normal car and fix it when it breaks.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. There's many threads on higher mileage e46's. Please look into those threads. And fix things as they break and do preventative maintenance as needed. As I said everything answered multiple times already.
I know there are threads on it, i was trying to be specific on year and engine.

Now that I have said that i'll say:

Ok, fair enough. I will admit to being lazy. I typed in high mileage 330i and came up with 11 pages of pure crap...didn't feel like sorting through it. Shame on me :shhh:

off to sort through 11 pages, probably more.....crikey....need a drink.....

edit: how many miles you got now?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have an 01 330i with 123,000 miles on it now. Nothing serious to worry about, as Solidjake said fix things as they break and keep up with preventative maintenance. Same as any other E46 as far as maintenance and reliability goes. Actually, the 328's and 323's have had more issues with subframe failures, historically speaking. Also, as far as being the first years for drive by wire, dsc and all of that stuff, the parts or systems haven't changed significantly throughout the E46's life (speaking of 2001 and later)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My daily driver is a M54 powered E53. 228,000 miles. The key to long life is proper maintenance,especially the cooling system. Hoses,pump,belts tensioners,thermostat,and all plastic components changed every 90,000 miles or 6 years. Cut the oil change intervals in half,7000 miles max using LL-04 oil. Transmission fluid every 50,000 as well as diff's. Most important,don't put off repairs. Fix problems as soon a they raise their ugly head.
H.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 01 330xi yesterday with 157k miles. I plan to keep it running as long as i can. Still runs real smooth though. Last owner took real good care of it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

·
Registered
759 Posts
Unless you don't properly maintain your car there is little chance of something going drastically wrong with it.
Most of the death stories on this forum do not seem to be maintenance preventable.

OPN failure?
DISA parts sucked into intake?
Subframe ripped out?
Turned off DSC and wrapped it around a pole?
Got rear-ended/side swiped?
Stolen car?
No reverse automatic?
LCM fire?
Surprise air bag club?

Okay, maybe the DISA issue could be maintenance... but not sure any mechanic would catch that. I think the E46 (coupes especially) will be a rare car in 10 years in North America... not because they CAN'T make it to high mileage, but because they won't.

People will get sick of replacing the expansion tank and paying BMWNA $6 for the regular maintenance crush washers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2000 323i that just turned 230k and runs great! The only problems I had to fix so far was the dreaded Airbag light (Code: 02/18, which was the passenger seat sensor), the rear break light coming on intermittent (which I fixed with the brown negative wire bypass, BMW techs will try to have you shell out $200 to $300 for this simple fix if your Bimmer is not in the recall range). Also changed the air filter and cabin air filter (cabin air filter was completely disgusting!) and just yesterday I had the tie rods, control arm bushings, 4 wheel alignment and front breaks done. I have my inspection sticker now and all good to go! So I'm sure your 330i will run strong for a long time! Nice lookin Bimmer by the way!

·
Registered
28,442 Posts
Six BMWs. Over 200,000 driving miles. Over 942,000 total miles. Absolutely the most reliable and durable brand of car I've ever owned/driven/experienced--way above anything Japanese I've ever owned/experienced myself or in the family. Never a single breakdown, never a single check engine light. Of course, maintenance works wonders. ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
'03 330i with 110K here. Had a few maintenance issues but nothing I couldn't fix myself. Now If I could only get rid of the pirate ship creaking sounds....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts