BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually don't know where they are in the engine but ETK says on is attached to starter and one the the engine cover. I have to look. But nology sells a earth ground wire for pretty cheap. Might just be a cheap mod and help clear up some of the sporatic electrical probs I have. There was a Japanese dude that did a complete proper ground loop back to the rear negative battery. He said in sport tranny mode the car was more responsive.

I was thinking of replacing the ground cable when I do my Denso Iridium plugs.

Opinions?:dunno:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics of the ground wire install

He looped this back to his negative battery ground. But simply upgrading the cable from the engine to the body might help performance.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I couldn't see the earth ground.

The only thing I saw was a ground attached from the ECU to the firewall. I might add a metal plate behind the ECU ground so it has a good contact or extent another ground cable to another location for that.

I just looked quickly for the others but it might be buried somewhere I cant see in garage light. If someone else knows where it is let me know.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found one of the ground cables. The other I will look later

but the part diagram from the BMW parts cd shows a very small wire like the gound to the hood. I'm going to put a large washer or metal plate behind the ECU ground which seems like they have it grounded to metal that has been painted. Also the eath ground to the hood is a very smal wire. I think I will go ahead and upgrade both to larger higher quality ground wires. I'm going to investigate the starter solenoid as well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Doesn't look as if any westerners have done this eh...? Good luck to ya and keep us posted on the results!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts