BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think as a group that some type of legal pressure needs to be brought against BMW for poor design regarding the rear subframe cracking and oil pump shaft nuts coming loose and destroying engines. This is inexcusable.
BMW should offer any interested owners a fix to both these problems in a preventative form at no cost.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Salsero2 said:
I really think as a group that some type of legal pressure needs to be brought against BMW for poor design regarding the rear subframe cracking and oil pump shaft nuts coming loose and destroying engines. This is inexcusable.
BMW should offer any interested owners a fix to both these problems in a preventative form at no cost.

Any Ideas?
When you buy a new car you get a warranty. When the warranty's up the manufacturer's legal responsibility ends. If it breaks after that, tough. Should BMW step up and offer a fix to relatively low-mileage cars with subframe tears? Probably. Can or should they be forced to do so under the law? I don't think so.
Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
How about when it can affect the safety of its occupants cause your differential falls off the car and you lose control....

i think so

Pigeon said:
When you buy a new car you get a warranty. When the warranty's up the manufacturer's legal responsibility ends. If it breaks after that, tough. Should BMW step up and offer a fix to relatively low-mileage cars with subframe tears? Probably. Can or should they be forced to do so under the law? I don't think so.
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
i totally agree. the subframe cracking is a real safety problem and should not be happening. and while we are petitioning BMW get them to also redesign the control arms and bushings....where is that radio lawsuit guy when you need him?!

·
Registered
642 Posts
can i ask a question without someone yelling and telling me to search?

well here it is. what the hell is the sub frame that everyone is talking about damaged?

now i am paranoid cause my warranty ends at the end of the month

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pigeon said:
Scott
This is completely different than a part breaking out of warranty. This is a structural flaw with major safety implications. Perhaps they are not liable for out of warranty claims as to repairs but I bet this could eventually lead to a huge liability issue when somone has an accident due to this flaw.

From a business standpoint, this has the potential to tarnish the BMW brand.
It's no different than a building contractor using improper fasteners to hang your garage door only to have it fall on your head and kill you. Think a warranty will matter then? Think it will just be tough for the home owner?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SollyD said:
can i ask a question without someone yelling and telling me to search?

well here it is. what the hell is the sub frame that everyone is talking about damaged?

now i am paranoid cause my warranty ends at the end of the month
In short, it is there rear suspension module and how it is attached to the rear of the vehicle. The attatchment points are tearing away from the structure.
Not the hardware but the structure itself. Think of it as the wall of your house tearing away around the door hinges. Eventually the door will fall off -- hinges and all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts