BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched a bit to see if there has been any effective air box mods for the E46 and couldn't find much.

Coming over from the Audi camp, one of the first things I did to my A4 1.8T for a few HPs was to remove the filter screens, cut holes in the box and add a K&N. The result was pretty impressive.

For the BMW crowd it seems like an entire after market CAI is the perfered way to go

It seems like a few good 3-4" holes on the front of the lower box section would add cold air were most of the CAI draws from anyway.

With all the CAI's sold I was thinking of picking up a cheap used box to sacrifice and test.

Has anyone done this effectively?

Dave H
2001 330cic

·
Registered
723 Posts
if you're talking about DIY mods, there're some fanatics who modded their mass air filter sensor screen to improve air flow.... but I have yet to read about modding the airbox.

most ppl just dump the air box, and go for either a CAI, or a short tube intake like the gruppe M or conforti. the reason being, it's not that you're only going for colder/denser air, but you're also improving the flow of the air into the engine. the oem airbox is more restrictive in terms of the speed air travels through, whereas a CAI or a short tube intake sucks in air more rapidly.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yes, some people have played with the airbox. It as simple as cutting an opening on the bottom of the box and connecting a duct from that opening to the bottom of the bumper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll try the DYI forum as well.

Jspeed: Do you recall the hole and duct technique being effective?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
do a search to get the information

just get the gruppe m intake take will do the trick for ya. you can
cut a hole where the brake ducts are next to the fog lights to if you like.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Monza_dh said:
Thanks, I'll try the DYI forum as well.

Jspeed: Do you recall the hole and duct technique being effective?
Yes, there is measurable improvement. "31st330i" did this mod and measured an increase in airflow w/ an OBD2 tool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts