1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
10,883 Posts
Working on software :( Good news is that we are almost done :thumbup:

Tim

·
2,275 Posts
I was off in Utica visiting my car and getting my new old car - 1992 maroon toyota corolla. Rock on baby!

I now own 3 cars, at least temporarily.

I couldn't bring myself to destroy the Cutlass. She was just so good to me, considering that I treated her like ****, I was almost sad to see her go...

·
2,275 Posts
no, the Cutlass was donated to the blind. I say I own 3 because it'll be a week or so before the title is actually signed by them.

But now I wonder if I might have to cost you some business - this Corolla is in such good shape that it just may be the winter ride. Tough call.

·
2,275 Posts
It's at a shop that isn't abandoning it whenever insurance work comes in. I'll get to help piece it together in 2 weekends if I choose. Should be done soon.

Basically my car had a friend, a steel blue 99 323i, which hopped from shop to shop with it, getting ignored, since insurance work has a higher profit margin. this was a problem for their business in addition to my car issues, since they make the most when they resell cars. When they finally found a place that was a) good and b) willing to separate the tough stuff with paint work (apparently shops love doing start to finish - some sort of thing about avoiding blame) they cranked out the friend in 3 weeks, start to finish. So now mine is in, got on the frame machine today, will have a new fender on tomorrow, and be painted starting saturday.

Turns out it is getting a new rear fender - for a while they said it'd just be repaired. This sucks because if I knew that I would have gone ahead with my plan to get M3 fenders, even if for the forseeable future I won't be able to afford rims.

It was cool though, to finally see progress - the front frame was rewelded, the whole left side was gutted in preparation for the fender, and the 325iX also there was coming off the machine so that mine could go on. I'll come out of this with piddly free mods, like topaz interior trim and finally getting my mirrors and spoiler on (they're what, 2.5 years old now Tim? ****, Jordan bought those I think)(what the **** ever happened to him?), and hopefully a jar of paint that I can use to paint my gauge rings and seatbelt clickers (gotta be unique when you're cheap). Hopefully I'll get my differential put in, and oh, stainless steel lines. Far cry from the original huge mod plan, but that's what happens when you piss away 15 grand. I'm hoping my coils can be replaced for free (I gave some BS story about how 2 blew). Maybe since I'll have new rims and S03s I can get 1000 in a sale for them and maybe just trade up cheaply to some 18" ACS or something. No need to clear big brakes since I sold those.

It's very exciting to think that it might actually be back soon, for real this time. It had been like that movie the Money Pit, always getting that "Two Weeks!" answer that they were getting... the wheels are finally in motion.

So for now, it's the Corolla, which feels like a sports car compared to the cutlass, and is in perfect shape aside from the brakes, which I just need to change out or pay to ahve done - the car is grinding loudly to a halt for now. But other than that it's mint, and much better than the crappy Dodge Spirit he was going to give me.

The title got signed over and everything, I paid 17.21 in tax. He said he's asking 750 and I might try to get it down in the 500 range, in which case I'd probably just buy it. I know there'd be the days when I would see the nice roads and wish I had the bimmer but at the same time, less miles, less danger, no salt and stuff.

Unless of course I take it out on dry days that unexpectedly snow, and even on dry days that white crap gets kicked up onto the fenders... I know I won't have the patience to wait untill the end of winter to drive it, I'll definitely want it out on nice days. Plus then crappy days I'd be parked outside and have to scrape the Corolla. Hell, I don't even own a brush or scraper...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts