BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've got an 04 325xi (12/03) and I am trying to figure out what I have here in terms of phone/bluetooth capability. I've got the Everest IBUS in the picture as well as this wiring in the middle console.... Please and thanks any thoughts on how I can get this to work? 20190317_115950.jpeg 20190317_122148.jpeg

2004 325xi

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,486 Posts
You are definitely wired for bluetooth. The picture on the right is the connector for the antenna. The other picture is a TCU, which is the telematics module. You need to look in the dome light to see if you have a mic wired in. Parts:

Bluetooth antenna bracket 84136912160
Bluetooth mic 84316938762
Bluetooth antenna 84506928461

If your TCU is like mine, there is a code printed on the front of it for bluetooth pairing. Simple process - install the antenna and bracket under the console, plug in the mic, pair the phone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need to get from my trunk to my center console with an antenna wire? And where do connect the speaker to, I'm not really bright so I need simple (although I know those were) directions.

2004 325xi

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I think primarily cars with BMW Assist had the BT as part of the TCU. Somewhere around 2004 BT became more prominent.

Press and hold the Talking Head on the steering wheel and listen for a recorded voice. If the car supports BT, you should get voice prompts.

Also put your phone in BT Pairing mode, then start the car and see if your phone can find a new BT connection.

This is the easiest way to figure out if your TCU supports BT.

You really do not need any additional wiring or antennas. The wiring found in the console is usually for the factory phone option as I recall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried that and don't get anything.... Not excited about that but all the other wiring sort of encourages me, I think I probably need a Bluetooth antenna before I'd find a signal to connect to?

2004 325xi

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I've tried that and don't get anything.... Not excited about that but all the other wiring sort of encourages me, I think I probably need a Bluetooth antenna before I'd find a signal to connect to?

2004 325xi
Nope, you need either a TCU or ULF module that supports Bluetooth, no additional wiring that I recall, but might need a BT antenna, just do not recall off the top of my head.

The TCU I believe is a cast aluminum box with supports BMW Assist and the ULF is a stamped sheet metal box that is mainly BT hands free support? It has been a while since I screwed around with each of these modules.

Just remove your module and look on the label and see if it has a:

BT serial number and PK or Pass Key or BT Password on the label. If there is not BW serial number and PK number you need a different module.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, you need either a TCU or ULF module that supports Bluetooth, no additional wiring that I recall, but might need a BT antenna, just do not recall off the top of my head.

The TCU I believe is a cast aluminum box with supports BMW Assist and the ULF is a stamped sheet metal box that is mainly BT hands free support? It has been a while since I screwed around with each of these modules.

Just remove your module and look on the label and see if it has a:

BT serial number and PK or Pass Key or BT Password on the label. If there is not BW serial number and PK number you need a different module.
Ok I will check that when I get back to it. Thanks I'll let you know, appreciate all the help!!!

2004 325xi

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a GROM unit that I plan to put up here for sale if interested.
Idk how complicated or expensive the oem route would be.

This unit enables you to use the stock radio and have Bluetooth, aux, and a USB port. Also comes with a mic for phone calls.

I have the COMPLETE kit.
Pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a GROM unit that I plan to put up here for sale if interested.
Idk how complicated or expensive the oem route would be.

This unit enables you to use the stock radio and have Bluetooth, aux, and a USB port. Also comes with a mic for phone calls.

I have the COMPLETE kit.
Pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
PM sent, thanks.

2004 325xi

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,486 Posts
So I need to get from my trunk to my center console with an antenna wire? And where do connect the speaker to, I'm not really bright so I need simple (although I know those were) directions.

2004 325xi
Nope. Just plug the antenna into the purple plug in your photo

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,486 Posts
I think primarily cars with BMW Assist had the BT as part of the TCU. Somewhere around 2004 BT became more prominent.

Press and hold the Talking Head on the steering wheel and listen for a recorded voice. If the car supports BT, you should get voice prompts.

Also put your phone in BT Pairing mode, then start the car and see if your phone can find a new BT connection.

This is the easiest way to figure out if your TCU supports BT.

You really do not need any additional wiring or antennas. The wiring found in the console is usually for the factory phone option as I recall.
Pretty sure he needs the Bluetooth antenna that I mentioned above to make the factory work.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Overboost:

Thanks boatloads for the instructions. I don't have the car in my possession right now, as it's my son's, but it is a coupe. I sometimes have a tendency to over think things, but the instructions mention only sedan and wagon. I'm guessing that the coupe is very similar, if not the same for this sort of thing, unless there is a space limitation in the console or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any further thoughts or suggestions. This is a great help!

My apologies, the part number for the Installation Kit DOES mention coupes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jumping on this thread with a semi-related question...

I have an aux cable hooked up to my Business CD head unit.

Any reason I can't just get one of these (see photo) to allow BT streaming through the AUX?

(I mainly just want to stream music through my iPhone's Sirius / XM app into the car's sound system; don't really care if the steering wheel controls work the BT or not. And my phone doesn't have a headphone jack to connect to the AUX cable directly, that's why I'm looking at the BT option)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts