E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definately worth every penny. Took longer than 10 minutes to install but other than that it went well. Sounds soooooo much better than the factory airbox, and absolutely no question you can feel a performance gain. Rather than wait until the car started using the new data I took my car to my dealer and had them reset all the adaption values etc. Instant difference.








Thanks for the help in my other posting.

Thanks,
Stuart.
 

·
Alpha Male
Joined
·
6,521 Posts
Right on Stu :thumbup:

did you know you can reset the adaptation values by disconnecting your batter for 10 or so minutes? Or so I'm told.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clem. I was going to do that but I get on with the guys at my dealer very well and they wanted a look (and have a go in the car lol). Was a lot easier for them to plug in into the machine and do it hehe.

No question it was worth it. I was hesitant in posting about it becuase most people are probably sick of hearing about intakes, especially the recent flood of GruppeM purchases :D

Thanks,
Stuart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Clem said:
Right on Stu :thumbup:

did you know you can reset the adaptation values by disconnecting your batter for 10 or so minutes? Or so I'm told.
someone confirm this please! I would like to know too
 

·
Alpha Male
Joined
·
6,521 Posts
-=Stu=- said:
Thanks Clem. I was going to do that but I get on with the guys at my dealer very well and they wanted a look (and have a go in the car lol). Was a lot easier for them to plug in into the machine and do it hehe.

No question it was worth it. I was hesitant in posting about it becuase most people are probably sick of hearing about intakes, especially the recent flood of GruppeM purchases :D

Thanks,
Stuart.
Good stuff. I love having a good relationship with my service department too :thumbup:

Your hesitation is the same reason why I never really posted my Fiber Design gauge rings :tongue:
 

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
Joined
·
2,773 Posts
cant wait to get mine next week :D

email [email protected]

i was told they have extras... no need to wait for a GB :D :D :D :D :thumbup: just hurry up!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
I just noticed that they changed the weave pattern on the intake. I have the classic looking cf while that one looks like the kevlar m3 weave,sweet.
Does anyone know how long it takes the computer to learn u actaully have an intake without disconnecting the battery???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd guess that a few hundered miles top. I just wanted instant results hehe. I'm presuming you will still get instant results but that they will improve over time.

Thanks,
Stuart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
Any downsides to disconnecting the battery? Anything else you need to reset (don't know, since my new touring just got the VPC today!!!!) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nop not yet. I was thinking what to do next and considered an ECU and exhaust. But not sure who to go with, although I'd get the ACS exhaust just becuase everything is ACS :) I had the ACS exahaust on my previous car and liked it so will go that way again.

Not sure what to do about ECU etc.

Thanks,
Stuart.
 

·
Alpha Male
Joined
·
6,521 Posts
Beema said:

Does anyone know how long it takes the computer to learn u actaully have an intake without disconnecting the battery???
If you are reluctant to disconnect your battery all you have to do is drive VERY aggressivle for about 15, 20 min
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
All you do is disconnect the ground battery cable.

The instructions for accessing and disconnecting the ground battery cable are in the owners manual. You also use the tool in the tool kit so you have everything you need. The only problem is getting the damn battery cover off. After the third time I took it off, I snapped one of the plastic parts. Good thing since now It comes off easier.

Also driving agressive will not update your maps. It will certainly update the short term maps but not the long term maps which determine overall performance. Your best bet is to disonnect the ground battery for 10 seconds.

Clem said:


If you are reluctant to disconnect your battery all you have to do is drive VERY aggressivle for about 15, 20 min
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
How the hell do you just walkin and get a reset done. My damn dealers would take your car and leave it for two days just to do it, then they would probably do something other than what you asked and make you come back three times to finally just reset it.

-=Stu=- said:
Definately worth every penny. Took longer than 10 minutes to install but other than that it went well. Sounds soooooo much better than the factory airbox, and absolutely no question you can feel a performance gain. Rather than wait until the car started using the new data I took my car to my dealer and had them reset all the adaption values etc. Instant difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Re: All you do is disconnect the ground battery cable.

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:

Also driving agressive will not update your maps. It will certainly update the short term maps but not the long term maps which determine overall performance. Your best bet is to disonnect the ground battery for 10 seconds.
So r u saying that since i didnt disconect my battery in the first place when i installed my intake then i will not get all the benfits??? Its already been a couple hundred miles, can someone clarify this statement
 

·
Alpha Male
Joined
·
6,521 Posts
Re: All you do is disconnect the ground battery cable.

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:

Also driving agressive will not update your maps. It will certainly update the short term maps but not the long term maps which determine overall performance. Your best bet is to disonnect the ground battery for 10 seconds.

Why the ground terminal? Even with the ground terminal disconnected isn't there still a current?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
It took a while for mine to adapt

It seems like on my car it took almost 1000 miles for the car to adapt. My gas mileage went down from 19.6 mpg to 18 mpg for the first 1000miles now its back up to 19.8 mpg. I never took the ground off the battery but I'll try it.

Yeah the new carbon weave in your pictures look different then the first batch that came in. I like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hehe I just get on very well with my dealer. Every christmas I drop off ~100 bottles of beer, few bottles of champagne and couple of boxes of chocolates. They treat me very well and I know most of them on first name basis etc. I've even fixed some of their home PC's, and helped setup the dealer network for GTS systems and network printing :D

Don't anyone be getting any ideas, its my dealership, get your own hehe :D

Stuart.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top