BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold March day, car (99 323) barely moves in reverse and leaves a big puddle of tranny fluid. Have a GM 5L40E tranny.
Needlessly to say, got an instant belly ache. Now what ? Fortunately this is not my main car.

After much research on this forum and others...I changed the solenoids to no avail. When I do, I notice no metal parts in the pan. Tranny looks good.
It's now April and car still on jack stands in the garage and I have no friggin clue. Still have that gnawing feeling.

Couple of weeks go by, some more research and I decide to pull the valve body - what do I have to lose at this point ?
I notice the TCC valve is sticking a little. Valve bodies are not cheap - around $600. Am stuck...do I gamble on the VB or go for a whole tranny? I didn't want to pull that tranny.

A couple more weeks go by and I went for it..I bought a VB. Next free day, popped it in and prayed. Car thunked...freaked me out. I let the wheel spin a little and all was well.

Thankfully all worked out and the car drives great !

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
The TCC solenoid is the one that's the problem. Sticking a little is what they do.

I'm concerned over the report of a puddle. Nothing you found should have caused a puddle.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Advantage of the GM tranny when they go bad. Two of my buddies ZF trannys had to be repladed at a tune of $3500 each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdstrickland,
re: the puddle....yes that was cause of much angst; one chevy forum noted that that tranny 5L40e got clogged lines and that's why; I didn't find that to be the case. The assenmacher tool to disconnect the cooler lines is fantastic. Anyways, I theorized that the sticking valve caused the flow of fluid out the vent...however its a guess on my part. Everytime I drive off I look for ATF but todate, it has been fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
its about 3 weeks now, hows the reverse work now? im thinking about putting in a new valve body before i even try putting in a solenoid... my car dont reverse at all!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Glad it worked out for you OP!!!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
this is good news to those with GM transmissions. I guarantee the a BMW dealer would have suggested replacement of the entire thing.

·
Registered
670 Posts
congrats on your success. Was thinking of pulling valve body on my GM390 (Xi auto) tranny because of poor shifting between gears; mostly 2-3 and 3-4. @ high revs (4000+) shifts great, but @ lower revs get this bad jerking, slow tranny shift. Original oil in 240,000 km tranny.... thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cold March day, car (99 323) barely moves in reverse and leaves a big puddle of tranny fluid. Have a GM 5L40E tranny.
Needlessly to say, got an instant belly ache. Now what ? Fortunately this is not my main car.

After much research on this forum and others...I changed the solenoids to no avail. When I do, I notice no metal parts in the pan. Tranny looks good.
It's now April and car still on jack stands in the garage and I have no friggin clue. Still have that gnawing feeling.

Couple of weeks go by, some more research and I decide to pull the valve body - what do I have to lose at this point ?
I notice the TCC valve is sticking a little. Valve bodies are not cheap - around $600. Am stuck...do I gamble on the VB or go for a whole tranny? I didn't want to pull that tranny.

A couple more weeks go by and I went for it..I bought a VB. Next free day, popped it in and prayed. Car thunked...freaked me out. I let the wheel spin a little and all was well.

Thankfully all worked out and the car drives great !
Good to hear a "new" (I suppose remanufactured) VB solved the problem. Where did you get it from? "Car thunked". If you mean the initial shifts felt rough then it's normal I was told after the new VB installation because the transmission needs to re-learn the adaptations.

What caused the ATF leak though?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry been away for a while - quick update..tranny still working well. The above thunk was bc my car was too high (was putting fluid in) and I had the hand brake off - not supposed to be that high. As for leak, it never came back. Though I did get a light on the console at 80mph (like a cog with an exclamation next to the D) the other day that freaked me out but it went away the next day. My next maint item (doesnt seem to end on this car) are the LCAs and CABs...HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts