E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I value the opinions in this forum a lot and would like to hear what you guys think about the raging D700 vs D7000 debate.

I have D80 which is due for an upgrade from a long time and I've been waiting it out for no apparent reason other than lack of $$$. Now I'm lookng to upgrade and faced the D700 vs D7000 debate. Before d7000, I was sure that d700 was the best upgrade path for me. But the feedback for D7000 is overwhelming and is the easiest upgrade for me as I have 4 Dx lens.

I have done a lot of research but the Q I want to ask: Those who have upgraded from DX to FX...how has it changed or improved your style?

My style of photography is more towards travel, landscape, automotive and portrait work. so I want to know if FX is a better choice for such type of photog?

For those who upgraded to D700 recently (Casey, e46stallion & others), what is your overall experience with FX upgrade?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback !!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
For me, its kind of like trading in a Volkswagen for a Porsche, but other results may vary.

I went from a D80 to a D300 and then to a D700. Looking back, I wish I had just skipped the d300.

It definitely changes your style a bit, especially in low light/natural light situations....but in a way much for the better.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have D80 which is due for an upgrade from a long time and I've been waiting it out for no apparent reason other than lackbof $$$. My buddy has the D700 supra awesome cam they are rare D7000s r ok but i dont like tge rear lenses. Before d7000, I was sure that d700 was the best upgrade path for me. But the feedback for D7000 is overwhelming and scardd teh piss out of me.
Fixed

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me, its kind of like trading in a Volkswagen for a Porsche, but other results may vary.

I went from a D80 to a D300 and then to a D700. Looking back, I wish I had just skipped the d300.

It definitely changes your style a bit, especially in low light/natural light situations....but in a way much for the better.
Thanks Casey...that is my dilemma too, I don;t want to buy a D7000 only to feel, I should have skipped the it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Looking at the D7k (aka D7000) Its the 4th generation of this line (D70/D80/D90/D7000). Nikon went back and used some of the guides it had with D70 vs D200. You're getting a camera very close to the D300s/D700 line. Closer than the D90/D80 were to D300/D200. Faster Shutter speed and higher ISO are the main two components that sets this up as a nice upgrade. Adding to more Auto-focusing Points, the D7k will give you more click click.

D700 is Full Frame. Better focusing in low light, but not by much because you have more AF Points. Adding that its Full Frame. FULL FRAME

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Yeah it's a nice dilemma. Basically the only difference imo in these two cameras is the D700 is full frame. Well that and probably more tweak in camera and shooting TIFF. That's worth $800 more. I'm guessing that D700 predecessor will have a bump in ISO and shoot 16mpg. But when will Nikon release the next FX camera? ugh

Realistically looking at what is really required to shoot I would go with the D700. D7k has two of the 3.

1. Faster Shutter Speed
2. High ISO
3. Full Frame.

@sunnydude I wish I could hold D700. My wrist still hurt sometimes. I shot with a friends D300 and 105mm lens. I loved it but after shooting for like 5min.. the pain kicked in. 105mm lens is roughly the same weight of all the nice glass 1lb. if not this problem D700 and 24-70mm

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
heres the deal man...go FF and never look back.

i really enjoyed my d90 when i had it and it gave me great photos, but when i took the first shot with my d700 at iso 1600 in my kitchen and saw how amazing the quality was i knew i wouldnt miss my d90 for a second. FF gives photos a certain look which you cant get from a dx camera...idk how to explain it but youd see for yourself if you shoot with a FF body.

the iso performance of the d700 is amazing which makes shooting in low light fun instead of annoying like with a d90...the d700 is built like a tank and feels really solid in your hands, esp with a grip on it.

all i can tell you is i LOVE mine and im so glad i didnt just upgrade to a better dx body.. trust me man anyone who has upgraded to FF from dx will tell you its the way to go.

scoop a d700 youll be glad you did :hi:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

i really enjoyed my d90 when i had it and it gave me great photos, but when i took the first shot with my d700 at iso 1600 in my kitchen and saw how amazing the quality was i knew i wouldnt miss my d90 for a second. FF gives photos a certain look which you cant get from a dx camera...idk how to explain it but youd see for yourself if you shoot with a FF body.

the iso performance of the d700 is amazing which makes shooting in low light fun instead of annoying like with a d90...the d700 is built like a tank and feels really solid in your hands, esp with a grip on it.

all i can tell you is i LOVE mine and im so glad i didnt just upgrade to a better dx body.. trust me man anyone who has upgraded to FF from dx will tell you its the way to go.

This^. Exactly what I meant when I said the jump from a VW to a Porsche..

I have no constraints or reservations shooting even at ISO 5k if necessary.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll chime in, as I went from a d90 (to canon) but still FF nonetheless. Yeah, you will have to get new lenses, but great glass on FF is really something unique. You won't realize it until you make the switch. You get wider views, which is perfect for landscape work. Your 50mm lens becomes an actual 50mm perspective, and you get great bokeh. Really it's a decision you have to make depending how much you are willing to spend, but I would go with the d700.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Get which ever you can afford, you dont NEED a d700 to do anything. But if you really WANT one then go for it.

I just bought a D300s and I still want a d700 because of its dynamic range and low light performance but i know it wont really impact my photography THAT much. I still want one though.

I already have a full frame camera (fm2) so my d300s will suffice. I cant wait for the d400 to come out though with the new image sensor.

·
Got Mis-shift?
748 Posts
I have to agree with the others that said go with FX. I have a DX and an FX (film Nikon F4) camera and even that makes a huge difference. I feel that I take better pics with the FX body. The view is wider and also brighter (at least from what i've noticed). I am saving up for a D700. I got rid of most of my DX lenses and upgraded to FX lenses using my DX camera. So I am ready for an FX camera. I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking at the D7k (aka D7000) Its the 4th generation of this line (D70/D80/D90/D7000). Nikon went back and used some of the guides it had with D70 vs D200. You're getting a camera very close to the D300s/D700 line. Closer than the D90/D80 were to D300/D200. Faster Shutter speed and higher ISO are the main two components that sets this up as a nice upgrade. Adding to more Auto-focusing Points, the D7k will give you more click click.

D700 is Full Frame. Better focusing in low light, but not by much because you have more AF Points. Adding that its Full Frame. FULL FRAME

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/DSLR_Compare.pdf

Yeah it's a nice dilemma. Basically the only difference imo in these two cameras is the D700 is full frame. Well that and probably more tweak in camera and shooting TIFF. That's worth $800 more. I'm guessing that D700 predecessor will have a bump in ISO and shoot 16mpg. But when will Nikon release the next FX camera? ugh

Realistically looking at what is really required to shoot I would go with the D700. D7k has two of the 3.

1. Faster Shutter Speed
2. High ISO
3. Full Frame.

@sunnydude I wish I could hold D700. My wrist still hurt sometimes. I shot with a friends D300 and 105mm lens. I loved it but after shooting for like 5min.. the pain kicked in. 105mm lens is roughly the same weight of all the nice glass 1lb. if not this problem D700 and 24-70mm
Great points....Thanks! I do agree with you on the weight. All the FF lens are so bulky that its sometimes scary...

Dude, your pics are absolutely amazing and I felt that unique DOF that an FX body produces is impossible to achieve on the DX bodies. That has got me sold to get an FX

I'll chime in, as I went from a d90 (to canon) but still FF nonetheless. Yeah, you will have to get new lenses, but great glass on FF is really something unique. You won't realize it until you make the switch. You get wider views, which is perfect for landscape work. Your 50mm lens becomes an actual 50mm perspective, and you get great bokeh. Really it's a decision you have to make depending how much you are willing to spend, but I would go with the d700.
I agree, that Wide angle view is amazing!

Get which ever you can afford, you dont NEED a d700 to do anything. But if you really WANT one then go for it.

I just bought a D300s and I still want a d700 because of its dynamic range and low light performance but i know it wont really impact my photography THAT much. I still want one though.

I already have a full frame camera (fm2) so my d300s will suffice. I cant wait for the d400 to come out though with the new image sensor.
One of the main reason I felt for switch is the possibilities of optimizing FX sensors is more than the cramped DX....so I'm hoping as I get onto FX wagon, better bodies will continue to be released.

Well the D700 is twice the price if that influences your decision at all.
Thanks, I'm obviously aware of that. The body price is just the start of the story, you haven;t talked abt the cost of FX lens costs ;)

I have to agree with the others that said go with FX. I have a DX and an FX (film Nikon F4) camera and even that makes a huge difference. I feel that I take better pics with the FX body. The view is wider and also brighter (at least from what i've noticed). I am saving up for a D700. I got rid of most of my DX lenses and upgraded to FX lenses using my DX camera. So I am ready for an FX camera. I can't wait!!!
can't wait till the d800 comes out, hopefully it forces the price down on the old d700's
I saved so long for an camera upgrade that now I can;t wait for the release of D800 whenever that might be...

Night and day diff between FX and DX, best move I made was picking up the D700. Hopefully its in your budget :woot:
I know that buying the body is just the start...so yeah budget is never enough when you go FX...:D

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
A buddy of mine had been saving up for a long time. He has a D70 and last week got the D700. Every year up until that point I was telling him...get a D300, get a d300s..and he finally put all that money he saved towards a D700 and 24-70mm. From what he's showed me so far, I think he's happy. Oh yeah he's happy.

VIvA D700 !! :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha...did this thread influence you....? Congrats man, which lens did you get with that?

·
Eurowerkz Midwest
4,994 Posts
Too much talking to Casey on Facebook I think! LOL Plus I got my bonus so I had the extra ching to step up to full frame. After I read over this thread though I was sold on it though! So far I have a few lenses that will switch over to the D700 including the 50mm 1.8, 28mm 1.8, and my sigma 70-300.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts