E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just spent some time looking around, and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for...

I have a 2004 325xi.

I'm planning on lowering the car at some point, hopefully soon.
I know I want coil overs, as I want to adjust them and **** whenever I please.

What "ones" I want, I have no clue yet.. that'll come later when I know what works and what isn't ****.. lol

But my question is..

I live in New Hampshire, I have winters, so what is a "safe" height to be from the ground?

I hear people say lowering is unsafe in the winter due to **** in the roads.. but I have friends who are DROPPED and they are fine in the winters.

So anyone know of a good ride height, which will keep me safe in the winter?

And possible a good "kit" I would want, that won't kill me, or be complete ****?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can suggest this from experience in snow county. The factory height is excellent for winter driving. There is no "safe" height. This factor will be determined when your front lower valance is plowing snow. Let's say it's new, unplowed, fluffy snow at 8". You'll cut through it with no issues. Compact that snow, add ruts or ice chunks and the movie changes. Your car nose will scrape and plow until either the snow moves or your air dam is re-moved. I see lots of interesting plastic car bits laying about each winter from the "too low for snow" crowd.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.