E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive searched and read over and over again about 330s using oil and ive came up with 2 conclusions. One- CCV/the 5 other names they are called or Two- Valve seals. Ones a fairly cheap fix and ones an expensive one. Im really nervous about it being the Valve seals but im not seeing that as a very common problem.

Heres what my car symptoms.....usining 1 quart about every 100 miles or so, puff of blue smoke on cold starts. NO performance issues, no CEL, just using alot of oil. Theres also no leakage under car just very very little seapage around valve cover.

My car is a 2002 BMW 330ci w/ 121k miles

·
Registered
852 Posts
:thumbup: yeap replace this
Or you might want to do the Lubromoly treatment first.
2 cans of Lubromoly oil saver (Bavauto sells it) with Regular non synthetic oil. Drive the crap out of the car for about 4000 miles then back to regular synthetic.
Took my car from 1 quart every 1100 miles to no oil between changes ( 4 -5k miles)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Or you might want to do the Lubromoly treatment first.
2 cans of Lubromoly oil saver (Bavauto sells it) with Regular non synthetic oil. Drive the crap out of the car for about 4000 miles then back to regular synthetic.
Took my car from 1 quart every 1100 miles to no oil between changes ( 4 -5k miles)
Sounds like an Auto-Rx treatment, are they similar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
No they aren't. Get some RX (3 bottles) and some ester free XW40 oil and a new filter and give it a good clean. Use the same ester free oil for the rinse phase. M1 0W40 is out of course (contains ester & PAO). A Group III ester free syn is a good choice. Then any LL01 oil after that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just did my VCG. Car used to eat one quart every 600 or so miles with easy driving. So far, I've been driving pretty hard and the light hasn't gone off. I am at about 600 miles now.

fyi, there was some seepage from the VCG...it didn't look like much, but I'm pretty sure the heat from the headers/manifold burn and conceal it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you're getting blue smoke at start up, you have a leak internally such as piston rings.

Check compression or leakdown test.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts