E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting angel eyes.

-Did/can you put them on yourself or have them professionally done?
-Have you had any problems with them?
-What are the best ones to get?

Post pics!

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
There's already 78,000 threads like this. I see you're new here. Welcome. But you should see my sig for important maintenance info and do it all if you can swing it financially. Angel eyes should be the least of your concern right now. A bad install can cause a fire (even an engineer installed a set i sold him and nearly set his car on fire) so i'm not sure a noobie should be installing them. either way, maintenance first, mods later. GL

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's already 78,000 threads like this. I see you're new here. Welcome. But you should see my sig for important maintenance info and do it all if you can swing it financially. Angel eyes should be the least of your concern right now. A bad install can cause a fire (even an engineer installed a set i sold him and nearly set his car on fire) so i'm not sure a noobie should be installing them. either way, maintenance first, mods later. GL
Yikess! Thanks for the welcome & reply! I'll check it out. Maintenance, check! Can I mod now? lol

·
Registered
654 Posts
Predator Orion V2's FTW! I installed them when I was a "noob" 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The install is really easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Predator Orion V2's FTW! I installed them when I was a "noob" 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since. The install is really easy.
Love it! I'll check those out. How is installation with the self adjusting headlight sensitivity? I was worried it would interfere.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
I don't even have 50k on it yet. Should I still replace the cooling system?
I would. The parts don't only go by mileage, but by age. I would at least change the expansion tank, hoses, a/t cooler o-ring, water pump, t-stat, belts, and pulleys. your car will go as far as your wallet can take it.

if you should get caught in a overheat, shut down the engine immediately. if you don't notice it overheating though, there goes the engine. that's why it's important.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
Love it! I'll check those out. How is installation with the self adjusting headlight sensitivity? I was worried it would interfere.
It will interfere. That's part of the reason I sold mine. the rings kept popping off during the auto-leveling despite modifications/tape. apparently this is a common problem on facelifted sedans.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
On my facelifted sedan the rings haven't popped off once thnx God, and I use my car 5-6 days a week after sundown when the xenons come on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nope no problems

·
Shifting
31,752 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DIY is easy if you are a bit handy with simple tools. here is a guide for installing the lights:

http://fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

As for which ones to get there's either regular budget lights or the top end

Budget:

http://www.umnitza.com/orion-lite-60-generic-led-angel-eyes-p-5686.html

High end: (what I have)

http://www.umnitza.com/predator-ori...-p-1198.html?zenid=jb097f9jerl9l45pr83ns26nr5
What's the difference between the high end & the generic? I hear much better things about the V2!

·
Shifting
31,752 Posts
The V2's are constructed better and the LED's do not fail at all. They also come with built in clips and the quality is superb. As for the lower end angel eyes, the ones I posted are pretty much the same (people might argue that but I've done 50 angel eye installed with various brands and they are all the same) the LED's can burn out after even as a few months, the clips also have to be inserted to the rings but that's easy.

The V2's have less LED's and they are physically smaller, and the cheaper rings have more LED's but are overall bigger filling more of the headlight to make it look cleaner. I'd rather take more brightness/better quality over rings that fit maybe a bit better but can fail fast.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The V2's are constructed better and the LED's do not fail at all. They also come with built in clips and the quality is superb. As for the lower end angel eyes, the ones I posted are pretty much the same (people might argue that but I've done 50 angel eye installed with various brands and they are all the same) the LED's can burn out after even as a few months, the clips also have to be inserted to the rings but that's easy.

The V2's have less LED's and they are physically smaller, and the cheaper rings have more LED's but are overall bigger filling more of the headlight to make it look cleaner. I'd rather take more brightness/better quality over rings that fit maybe a bit better but can fail fast.
I'd also rather take quality overall, otherwise I would have bought a Honda :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts