BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys

i just came back from a 30 minute highway drive back from the city( foot on the pedal all the way home), i have myCarr pred. chromiums (ccfl) angel eyes, wired to the ECU with no relay kit, when i turn the car off the angel eyes usually stay on for about 10 seconds..but tonight they stayed on for much longer, i had to turn the car on then off again then waited 10 secs for them to turn off.... :hmm:

how is the ecu able to stay on after the car is turned off?
-residual charge?
-is my alternator over charging?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
hey guys

i just came back from a 30 minute highway drive back from the city( foot on the pedal all the way home), i have myCarr pred. chromiums (ccfl) angel eyes, wired to the ECU with no relay kit, when i turn the car off the angel eyes usually stay on for about 10 seconds..but tonight they stayed on for much longer, i had to turn the car on then off again then waited 10 secs for them to turn off.... :hmm:

-residual charge?
From what I understand this is normal. My car has done it on occasion. The reason given is that sometimes the car is "doing something" after shutdown and there is still power on that "circuit".

I would love to know the specifics if anyone know exactly whay the car is still doing stuff after shutoff occasionally.

·
Registered
534 Posts
hey guys

-residual charge?
Ive had this happen alot after a LONG drive (2+ hours). Sometimes the AE were on for a minute or two, i chalk it up to residual charge.

Rarely, (<5 times) it has stayed on a long time even after a short trip. What i do then is just turn the car to ACC, let the headlights come on (i think this drains residual charge), then turn the car off again.

My AE's typically stay on for about 5 seconds after shutdown

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've also had the same problem intermittently and occassionally had to turn the car to position 2 and off again to remedy. I have the 60 LED version.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine does it too, apparently at random. They always go off eventually (usually within a couple of minutes), so I quit worrying about it. It does sometimes help to turn the ignition key back on and then off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts