BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
ran a few searches but couldn't find the answer. Just curious if there is any location in the engine bay of an 04 e46 m3 to hook up the angel eyes remote turn on wire. Otherwise I will run to the passenger side lighting like most do, just figured I'd make sure before pulling the glove box out and such. Thanks in advance,
-Ed

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much, much appreciated. Thanks again for the fast feedback. looks like I'll go to the footwell light.

·
Registered
974 Posts
there was a yellow wire with red tracers in the wireing harness connection compartment that I tapped off of to get my angel eyes to work in the "alwasy on" method. Note sure if there is the same wire in the M3 but its worth a look

·
Shifting
31,924 Posts
Just pop out the rubber grommet, poke a hole in it and put the wire through, then just push in the wire (as close to the front that you can) and go inside of the car and see if you can feel it (up against the carpet and the plastic). It's easier that way so you don't get cut up fishing for it the other way.

·
Registered
905 Posts
^ Dude, theres a passage way from the firewall thing that allows you to pull that wire up and into the glove box and then out the hole that the light pops out of. Then you put the two wires together and pop it back up... then boom, looks like nothing is even there. Then you don't have a wire like you have.

·
Registered
522 Posts
^ dude, theres a passage way from the firewall thing that allows you to pull that wire up and into the glove box and then out the hole that the light pops out of. Then you put the two wires together and pop it back up... Then boom, looks like nothing is even there. Then you don't have a wire like you have.
+1

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I routed the wire through that black round rubber thing and then to the light. I had CCFL angel eyes before which did not come with the harness so i had to use my own wires, rectifiers and relay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow you guys weren't kidding! Having never taken the glove box out nor routing any cables through the firewall, I completed this mod in less than 20 minutes! Piece of cake. Thanks for the info everyone.

For anyone else that comes across this thread here's what I used:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-remove-your-e46-glove-box-t20588/ This thread shows how to remove the glove box in the simplest manner. Several other threads I came across added unneeded steps.

A wire coat hanger that I took apart and turned into a a straight, stiff piece of wire
Wire strippers
Electric tape
Philips head screw driver

That's it. Pull the glove box off. In the e46 on the passenger side of the engine bay up next to the firewall there is a large hollow bay. In the bay there is two rubber ports, one on the left already has a large bundle of cables going through, the one on the right has no cables but 3 round "condom" looking things for lack of a better term. Attach your cable to your wire hanger using electric tape. Cut the tip of one of those "condom" looking things and push your wire hanger through. Go inside and look under the passenger foot well and you should see the wire hanger, pull it through. Pull your footwell light off, strip the positive wire, and attach.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the advice. Looks clean and love the angel eyes fading in and out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts