E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey can someone just point me in the right direction? I have a Red 05 M3 and want to get some angel eyes for it. I just don't know where to start really. What do you think are the best brands which will give me the best quality? My max is about $200.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i don't want to get ripped off. Most of the stuff I've seen is for around $50 just didnt know if it was worth it for more cash. What are the best brands to buy from?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well, before the vendors come in here, go with what you feel comfortable buying. If you want to buy the one that is "indestructible and waterproof," go outside when it's raining and see how much water actually gets in your headlight. If you want to go with the one that sells a strange name angel eye, you'd be better off buying that one from whoever offers it for the cheapest.

Myself, I went with Khoalty angel eyes, which many will claim is the same as Weisslicht and Orion Lite, but who knows for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend told me to check out Khoalty as well
6000K vs 8000K and also CCFL vs LED.....are there actually visual differences?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Don't bother with the Kelvin ratings. These are just marketing terms. CCFL will emit a continuous line of whiter light, but it's more dangerous to put into the car. They have a history of blowing up inverters (commonly referred to, mistakenly, as ballasts) and melt/burn stuff. LEDs have the disadvantage of being able to pick out individual LEDs instead of being a continuous line. The LEDs also have a blue-ish tint to them that is nearly imperceptible.

·
Registered
601 Posts
CCFL is pretty much phased out now that LED has become affordable, CCFL and LED /do/ look different if you've seen hundreds of cars with angel eyes, CCFL is typically a thinner line and is 100% full of light, whereas the LED's, if you are very close to them, you can see each individual LED, but there are so many and they are so close together it's pretty much a non existant issue (not to mention they're very bright, so you'd be foolish to stand and stare at them when on! haha), some vendors have 70 led's per ring, some have 82 iirc, some may have more, but it's pretty much a non issue..

You can purchase from whoever you want, I'm not here to sway you either way.. i can't say that ours are exactly like weisslicht or orion lite or what eas carries, but i can say there are no differences between them that i have seen

We have them in two colors, i think the amber ones would look cool on red, but really personal preference

the kelvin rating thing use to be more present when there were tons of manufacturers of angel eyes and lots of varying color outputs, 5-6k is what most vendors refer to as 'hyper white' which has a minute blueish output on the edges (hard to explain) of the emitted light, 8k would be more blue look than white, but i don't think anyone has that anymore

·
Site Sponsor
18,413 Posts
$200 is too much for angel eyes. It's about $10 worth of parts...
10000% correct for the Orion Lite's of the world - the same as the Khoalty/Weiss/UltraHD/etc. Some will think they are not the same, but out of the other side of their mouths, when they aren't acting tough, and in private they will admit that these are all the same, ordered from the same place, built to the same low quality standards.

For comparison purposes on pricing:
Orion Lite = $59.99/$74.99 == 1 Year/Lifetime Warranty
Khoalty = $50/$90 == No warranty/1 year warranty
Weiis = $149/$190 == 1 year warranty/Lifetime Warranty

Orion V2 = $159.99 == Lifetime Warranty

Not correct for the Orion V2, those require a significantly more production materials quality and worth. One of these days we'll take you guys into the manufacture of the product with a video of the behind the scenes development.

Hey can someone just point me in the right direction? I have a Red 05 M3 and want to get some angel eyes for it. I just don't know where to start really. What do you think are the best brands which will give me the best quality? My max is about $200.
The best is widely recognized to as only 2 types - Aurora and Orion V2.
Aurora are $200 - look very similar to the Orion Lite in their design and make up.
Orion V2 $159 - unique in design and type.

There is a good write up here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=752929&

And another good one here of the Orion Lite and Orion V2:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1577812

if your product can withstand this, just think how trouble free your operation will be when you don't subject it to that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j3vAz-4Gcs&feature=player_embedded

In the end you can purchase from wherever and whoever you want, doing so with full knowledge of everything is important. When you buy angel eyes, you need a warranty of some sort and peace of mind, we offer both.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The best is widely recognized to as only 2 types - Aurora and Orion V2.
Aurora are $200 - look very similar to the Orion Lite in their design and make up.
Orion V2 $159 - unique in design and type.
EAS Aurora's and Orion V2 both have driver/resistor packs that are separate from the rings which the $50 LED Angel Eyes don't have, yet you don't seem to ever point this out as a benefit or a selling point Matt. Is there any benefit for the customer, like longer product life or less heat, or is it just a difference in product design? It seems to me that those extra parts would add to the production costs, but if they make the product more reliable over time, then it's worth it... and an important difference.

·
Site Sponsor
18,413 Posts
The boxes we have are not resistors or drivers. We consider them regulators. I was always under the impression they (aurora) never had them, so it's news to me that they now do. I do not want to speak about the value aurora's need to have those boxes. I'm sure they had a good reason for it, I will simply assume that their product benefits in some way from this addition regardless of the actual engineering reason for it.

The main engineering benefit of our regulator boxes - in marketing speak - longer life, brighter output, improved consistency of the light output, and finally (in coordination with the kind of LED we use in the Orion V2) negligible output degradation*

*This has been discussed numerous times in the past - poorly designed LED products with closely spaced LEDs on the rings will degrade in total output so that by their half-life of usage, they will be less than 50% of their once new output. This is not the case for Orion V2 that maintain barely a 10% degradation in output after 2+ years or relatively continuous usage.

EDIT - to answer your question more directly - it's not really "sexy" to talk about those boxes, so we don't.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The boxes we have are not resistors or drivers. We consider them regulators. I was always under the impression they (aurora) never had them, so it's news to me that they now do.
Thanks for your reply Matt...
The Aurora set that I have is about two years old now and does have the regulator/resistor boxes. That's about when they started shipping their "15% brighter 1.1 version". Prior to that I believe the regulators/resistors were mounted on the back side of the rings.

·
european auto source
12,556 Posts
The Aurora set that I have is about two years old now and does have the regulator/resistor boxes. That's about when they started shipping their "15% brighter 1.1 version". Prior to that I believe the regulators/resistors were mounted on the back side of the rings.
Exactly. The external DriverPacks allowed the rings to run brighter, and cooler. We also do not use magnified rings to make the light appear brighter - which in effect, makes the LEDs also look larger look weird when unlit.

Detailed pictures of the comparison were covered back in 2008:

Aurora vs. Orion II comparison
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8305758

Auroras don't need convincing or guerilla-marketing antics to get the word out. People simply ask for them by name since they know the quality behind them which would back the reason of why we're sold out most of the time.

·
Site Sponsor
18,413 Posts
Whatever the case or reason, I believe originally one of the "knocks" on our product was that somehow we used those and they "didn't" - then I guess somewhere along the way, they did need it. Good information.

-------
Over three years, the competition has used various disingenuous tactics to discredit our product:
a) running our product at 9V to show that it doesn't light at 9V.
if your car is running at 9V, you have other issues than the angel eyes.

b) claiming ours uses an amplifier for light output.
we do not, never have, never will. Our LED are simply brighter and better quality - best we can find on the market - not the cheapest.

c) comparing our product inaccurately
comparing the original Orion 30 LED V1 is completely misleading and a bad comparison in general as the product has been discontinued since March of 2008, almost 3 years+ ago.

The only thing that ultimately matters in all this is:
1) WHO do I believe - we think our customers, and those that have done side by side comparisons themselves are more believable than we could ever be. LOOK HERE

2) WHAT do you want - we think our product is indestructible and a great value - especially considering it's actually quite long in the tooth at almost 3 years old with so few failures you really have to search for it.

3) HOW long do you want it to last and HOW easy do you want it to be installed - we think our product is among the easiest to install, no broken clips, flimsy backing, or cheap circuit boards with exposed connections and again 3 years almost in the field with now over 10K+ units, we've had fewer than 20 overall failed parts.
EDIT: fixed typo - 20 not 10

Anyways, good luck to your search - and if you do search (OP) take a look at all the countless threads going over the same exact information time and again. All the data is there.

We do hope you choose our product. We now have many in stock again after a 1 week back log all are up to speed.

·
Registered
31,689 Posts
this thread turned into a war so i'm just going to reply to you directly lol

do you want LEDs or CCFLs? LEDs have less problems, and with your budget you should be fine with the cheapest LED angels if you want. personally, i'd take the aurora's. even though they are one of the more expensive brands, the customer service behind them is unmatched, this is especially important AFTER the sale. too bad they never made one for my 06 fl coupe.

·
european auto source
12,556 Posts
this thread turned into a war so i'm just going to reply to you directly lol

do you want LEDs or CCFLs? LEDs have less problems, and with your budget you should be fine with the cheapest LED angels if you want. personally, i'd take the aurora's. even though they are one of the more expensive brands, the customer service behind them is unmatched, this is especially important AFTER the sale. too bad they never made one for my 06 fl coupe.
Don't worry - I have a birthday surprise for you very soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Swoff, I got the Amber one's from Khoalty, the LED with no Warranty... had them for about 8 months issue free. See ya later kid

BTW: check out this thread. Most people with xenons like you buy 6000k for a perfect match.

·
Registered
59 Posts
V2 ALL THE WAY!!! I've 4 other friends with E46 M3's and they all use V2, myself including is going to install my set as I've ordered this morning. The point of having angel eyes is to STAND OUT. So of course the brightest V2 takes the crown. V2 looks better than EAS. It stands out alot more (in person) than EAS. It's thicker, and brighter!!! It's totally worth the price :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts