E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok SO,
Got an AE kit, it's all mounted, grounded and attached to the positive terminal.
The instructions direct you to tap into the accessory wire on the driver side so they'll constantly be on. Not a fan of that. Ideally I'd prefer to have a switch on the driver footwell to turn then AE on and off as I please. Needless to say other than the basic connections I haven't tapped it into anything yet.
I have a long white wire coming off the passenger side that turns the halos on when I touch it to the positive terminal, and a much shorter read wire on the drivers side that the kit company recommended I tap into the accessory wire with. I have a relay and fuse attached already.
So my question is, based off of what I've already done, is there any way I'll be able to wire in a switch on the driver footwell so I can turn them on and off at will?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My understanding is that there is only power to the foot well lights when they are on (e.g., door is open, doors unlocked with remote, etc.).

You may want to do some pinpoint searches re: kill switch as I recall that SolidJake posted a quick and dirty way to wire a switch.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah your definitely right about those lights doing all that. I was just more interested in the idea of having a switch down there that's easy to reach. I'm open to other ideas though.
Any idea where that guy you're speaking of has his tapped?

·
Registered
498 Posts
When I did mine I used a relay wired to a remote turn-on that is under the plastic cover were the engine harness goes. This way they turn on when I start the car and shut off when the car is off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the positive (red) wire connecting to the positive terminal come with a fuse (10A or 20A). Base on the concept that pulling out the fuse is equivalent as shutting off the circuit, I believe by adding a switch in between this red + wire should act as an on/off switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.