E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listen to this fellas... I had two different audio setups in my car in one week.

1. JL Audio 10W7 with JL Audio 500.1 Amp

2. Alpine Type-R 10" with JL Audio 500.1 Amp

When I have the W7 running, my angel eyes dim out whenever the bass hits. But with the Type R, they are fine and dont dim at all.

I am thinking its because the power hungry W7 is more powerful woofer and is sucking up all the power the amp has to offer, where as the TypeR is powered comfortably.

How can I cure this? I would love to just get a 1farad capaciter and hope it fixes the problem. Some say thats what I need, and others recommended a more powerful battery. Honestly, I dont think a single sub setup should require a whole new battery. Well, whats the verdict boys? How much will I be spending this time....

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Does someone know if the JL amps have a regulated or unregulated power supply? If its regulated, a cap or battery really won't help a whole lot. If its unregulated, definitely get a cap.

The resistance (impedence) of the JL sub is rated at 3 ohms while the Alpine is 4, I think. Anyway, once you you put that same sub in the box, the impedence changes. As the cone moves forwards and backwards, the impedence changes. The JL sub might be running at a lower impedence when installed in the enclosure which causes the amp to put out increased wattage and draws more amps. The Alpine might be more amp friendly and the resistance might not drop so much. The type of enclosure affects impedence as well. A sub in a ported enclosure will have a lower impedence because of the lowered physical resistance (damping) than a sealed enclosure. That is why you get more volume out of a ported box.

Since you have your car on, angel eyes and a high power stereo, you get the dimming. But, since JL power supplies are regulated (I'm pretty sure), the voltage at the battery might be below 12 v which is indicated by the angel eyes dimming but the voltage at the power rails on the amp is constant.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
I would definitely get a cap. 1 farad will do. It might not get rid of the problem 100%, but it should help some. At a minimum, will provide a more "stable" source of power to your amplifier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.