BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to install an on/off switch for my angel eyes for a long time.

I started looking at switches online and found one that I liked called the Activator 2 made by PlasmaGlow:

http://www.plasmaglow.com/stainless-steel-led-activator-switches/

at $40 it is waaay more expensive than all the other rocker style switches I looked at (almost all under $5), but I managed to find it on Amazon for $19 so I went for it (last one in stock hehe). I liked this switch more than the rocker switches because of the halo-shaped LED light :)

I chose the mounting location because of the switch's round shape/size, and because I wanted it to be visible but discrete (armrest down it disappears, and you can even throw the rubber cover back over it if you wanted completely hidden for some reason). If I had gotten a cheap rocker switch, I probably would have put it somewhere in the drivers side footwell area

works great so far, just gotta remember to turn it off!

I disconnected my footwell light remote for now, not sure if both would work?

I can flash ppl with my halos now tho lol

off:

on (it doesn't look pink in person):

night shot (it doesn't stick out that much at night, but again just to get the idea):

lemme know what you guys think!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ive been thinking about doing this for a while now, haven't followed thru tho, goodstuff dude:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
needs moar NOS button

too soon junior etc

otherwise, nice install :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ive always wanted a kill switch on my angels too..!
Ive been thinking about doing this for a while now, haven't followed thru tho, goodstuff dude:thumbsup:
dooo eeettt

you can get a super cheap rocker switch and put it under the dash, which is even easier

You did it! lol. :clap:
yup! I'm really happy with the location too. thanks again for brainstorming with me!

:thumbup:
:thumbsup:

needs moar NOS button

too soon junior etc

otherwise, nice install :)
haha yeah yeah :neener:

they actually make momentary switches too that I'm pretty sure are designed specifically for nos lol

and the rest of the plasmaglow product line is pretty :facepalm:

but I think it works for this application... barely... because halo?

edit: also if I ever want to change the location so that it's more hidden I can always throw the rubber cover back in the tray

·
Registered
554 Posts
I like that switch. Has a clean look to it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like that switch. Has a clean look to it.
thanks, I agree!

so they finally made a latching halo switch? For over 5 years its only been momentary switches with the halo. Thanks for the heads up, now I can finally move forward with my mod...
I didn't know that...

fyi here are the part numbers:

standard switches
11010 - Blue, 11011 - Red, 11012 - Green, 11015 - White

momentary switches
11020 - Blue, 11021 - Red, 11022 - Green, 11025 - White

the red is a pretty good match to amber dash lights, not 100%, but good.

I like that. Anymore of those switches? i hate doing electrical diy's tho
not exactly sure what your question is?

here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Plasmaglow-11011-Stainless-Activator-Switch/dp/B004WNYXG8?tag=5336612389-20

when I ordered it there was one left in stock, so you will probably have to wait if you order from there

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the difference between momentary and standard switches?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I was asking if there were more switches available? And a thorough diy? :read:

The price is a bit steep, but i might get one. They dont have other colors do they? I guess red is ok. "Mechinical "

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the difference between momentary and standard switches?
np, I had to search to before purchasing

momentary = only on when the button is held down (do not want)

latching (standard) = on/off positions (do want)

Looks good.
thanks!

I was asking if there were more switches available? And a thorough diy? :read:

The price is a bit steep, but i might get one. They dont have other colors do they? I guess red is ok. "Mechinical "
as far as availability goes, how should I know? I'm not a plasmaglow distributor

and how does "I hate doing electrical diy's" translate to "can you please provide a thorough diy?" it's just like wiring up any electrical switch, you are creating a break in the circuit.

here's the diy I used as a reference:

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/switch.pdf

except this switch comes with an extra ground wire to light up the switch's LED.

as far as other colors, I listed the other colors with their respective part numbers above. maybe you should :read:

nice find! I'm sure those would work fine too

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
np, I had to search to before purchasing

momentary = only on when the button is held down (do not want)

latching (standard) = on/off positions (do want)

thanks!

as far as availability goes, how should I know? I'm not a plasmaglow distributor

and how does "I hate doing electrical diy's" translate to "can you please provide a thorough diy?" it's just like wiring up any electrical switch, you are creating a break in the circuit.

here's the diy I used as a reference:

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/switch.pdf

except this switch comes with an extra ground wire to light up the switch's LED.

as far as other colors, I listed the other colors with their respective part numbers above. maybe you should :read:

nice find! I'm sure those would work fine too

1 - 20 of 56 Posts