E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Does anybody now a good android auto unit for a bmw e46 facelift model. Looking around for lets say 5-600 euros. Found some cheaper ones like eonon but i read a lor about them that they are pretty slow with navigation. I would like to keep all car functions like the buttoms on my steering wheel.
kind regards,

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
They're all about the same. "okay" sound and function, poor phone sound... systems are always a little glitchy... I prefer Xtrons and own several.

These days, a lot of people are keeping their E46 stock and using Bluebus or Grom adapters for bluetooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're all about the same. "okay" sound and function, poor phone sound... systems are always a little glitchy... I prefer Xtrons and own several.

These days, a lot of people are keeping their E46 stock and using Bluebus or Grom adapters for bluetooth.
hmm sad to hear they all dont work properly. I really like the idea to modernize my infotainment a bit. since im driving in my e46 a lot around 40k per year.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
943 Posts
Alpine do a 7" head unit with Android Auto that is ready mounted in a fascia which will bolt straight into an E46. Code ILX-702E46. It doesn't look factory like the Chinese Dynavin / Avin / Xtrons etc units but is doubtless of higher build quality and very likely of higher sound quality. I've not heard it myself though - I have a Dynavin - but if I were buying today I'd consider it. Or you could get a generic fit, shallow mount, mechless 7" head unit from one of the other big brands and mount it into a commercially available fascia adapter. That'd be closer to your budget. The Alpine will have the correct colour illumination though and you know there's no risk it will end up fouling the air vents. It's not cheap, £750 here in the UK, but 40k per year is a lot of hours in the car to amortise it over!

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
942 Posts
I've had an eonon for a year now and it's been great. Way better than a stock nav or radio head unit with grom or blue bus

Reactions: LoskiTheBroski328

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had four Android head units (Xtrons 9" & 8.8"unit and Joying 9" &10.5") and haven't had any issues with any of them, everything worked as it should.
Sound quality is a vast improvement from the stock head unit.
Currently have a Joying 10.5" unit in my BMW E46 and I love it and would highly recommend it, I prefer the Joying unit over Xtrons as they have higher resolution screens (1280x720 compared to Xtrons 1020x600)
The 10.5" screen fits well between the upper AC vents and the lower Hvac controls without blocking either of them, installation was simple as it was an E46 specific plug n play unit.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
i do have nav. And why do you ask if i am sure that i want it? I live in the netherlands.
Since your car has the nav the head unit is merely a human/machine interface. All of the electronics are in the left side of the trunk. You’ll need a special cable that connects the new head unit with the connectors in the trunk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since your car has the nav the head unit is merely a human/machine interface. All of the electronics are in the left side of the trunk. You’ll need a special cable that connects the new head unit with the connectors in the trunk.
yes found out that part already

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alpine do a 7" head unit with Android Auto that is ready mounted in a fascia which will bolt straight into an E46. Code ILX-702E46. It doesn't look factory like the Chinese Dynavin / Avin / Xtrons etc units but is doubtless of higher build quality and very likely of higher sound quality. I've not heard it myself though - I have a Dynavin - but if I were buying today I'd consider it. Or you could get a generic fit, shallow mount, mechless 7" head unit from one of the other big brands and mount it into a commercially available fascia adapter. That'd be closer to your budget. The Alpine will have the correct colour illumination though and you know there's no risk it will end up fouling the air vents. It's not cheap, £750 here in the UK, but 40k per year is a lot of hours in the car to amortise it over!
costs 1000 euro in my area. Thats a little to much for me. But thanks for the suggestion. maybe ill wait till black friday to get a good deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had four Android head units (Xtrons 9" & 8.8"unit and Joying 9" &10.5") and haven't had any issues with any of them, everything worked as it should.
Currently have a Joying 10.5" unit in my BMW E46 and I love it and would highly recommend it, I prefer the Joying unit over Xtrons as they have higher resolution screens (1280x720 compared to Xtrons 1020x600)
The 10.5" screen fits well between the upper AC vents and the lower Hvac controls without blocking either of them, installation was simple as it was an E46 specific plug n play unit.
have u experienced the joying unit being slow or anything? especially for navigation since i will use that part a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also would like to know what model u are using. The joyings seems to be pretty affordable

·
Registered
28 Posts
have u experienced the joying unit being slow or anything? especially for navigation since i will use that part a lot.
The unit I have has 4GB of memory, it's very responsive with no lag when using any of the Apps, including navigation

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
943 Posts
costs 1000 euro in my area. Thats a little to much for me. But thanks for the suggestion. maybe ill wait till black friday to get a good deal.
I've seen it for €740 from a German retailer on ebay but still over your budget. It's a tough choice though between an Alpine/JVC Kenwood/Sony in a fascia and a custom fit Chinese head unit. Pros and cons to both, which is better for you depends on your priorities. Take that in to consideration if anyone claims their choice is definitively "best".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen it for €740 from a German retailer on ebay but still over your budget. It's a tough choice though between an Alpine/JVC Kenwood/Sony in a fascia and a custom fit Chinese head unit. Pros and cons to both, which is better for you depends on your priorities. Take that in to consideration if anyone claims their choice is definitively "best".
yeah it definitly is a tough decision. Since ive never used a android auto. And opinions seem to vary a lot. But ive looked into the joying one that one got me quite interested i have to say.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
942 Posts
To clear up a miscommunication, there's a difference between Android auto and Android powered headunits. A lot of the headunits are powered by a version of Android that has a theme placed on top to simplify it and it's merely just buttons similar to an OEM look. Where as android auto is only if you have an Android phone and mimics your phone screen for music, Google maps and calls. But if you have an iPhone you get CarPlay, same idea you have your iPhone mimicked.

Android Powered:

Android Auto / CarPlay:

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello i buy a new android, becos a old android is 4.4.4 version. problem is with can bus decoder. when it is connected the radio does not switch off and the car ignition also when you remove the key. without can bus decoder everything works. And old android 4.4.4 with can bus decoder works fine! Who now wich color cabel need to disconect?
video

1 - 20 of 30 Posts