BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 2005 E46, 137,xxx miles just threw code P0599. I decided to check the coolant level and it was low. I should note there haven't been any noticeable leaks. Advice/thoughts? Thank you!

·
Registered
26,216 Posts
That's a thermostat code. How low was the coolant? Look for leaks is my advice. You might have a leak hiding behind the intake manifold--the hard pipes...and both therm and water pump can leak too.

I'd replace both therm and water pump if you're doing the therm...but find your leak...or 'seeping' site.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dmax,
Thanks for the reply. The coolant wasn't that low(No low coolant light came home).

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,349 Posts
So, my 2005 E46, 137,xxx miles just threw code P0599. I decided to check the coolant level and it was low. I should note there haven't been any noticeable leaks. Advice/thoughts? Thank you!
The P0599 code is often the thermostat wiring harness damaged, saturated with coolant, or wicked coolant up into the DME connector. Tear into that and see what you find. Post pics here if the cause is found.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bawli,

Any links on to look at the thermostat wiring harness? Is this a DIY, or am I screwed? Thanks!

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
517 Posts
After having had P0599 2/2020 E46 another P0599 on my E53 3/2020 , both times a new replacement thermostat BOTH times fixed the code.
Just my recent experience.
Both times I think it was the heater element. Take a look at your harness ,if it is clean and untouched I bet the thermostat element is the problem.
Now you can try cleaning that plug, and reset, if it comes back more likely a thermostat .
The e46 code set somewhere in Connecticut after drive from Boston , drove with the code 2 more hrs to home. Car did not implode.

·
Registered
26,216 Posts
OP...btw, was your temp needle maybe just a tad to the left of dead center? The code you have doesn't speak to the level of coolant...just the therm...you can check the wiring first, of course, but don't fight against a therm for too long as if it's broken open, you'll lose a few miles/gallon because it's running cold.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: So, I hedged myself and order a new thermostat just in case. Went to my INDY mechanic this morning, who I happen to be friends with. Looked at the wiring harness and didn't see anything remarkable. SO, we changed out the thermostat and all good. Thank you all be well!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,349 Posts
UPDATE: So, I hedged myself and order a new thermostat just in case. Went to my INDY mechanic this morning, who I happen to be friends with. Looked at the wiring harness and didn't see anything remarkable. SO, we changed out the thermostat and all good. Thank you all be well!
Cool! (pun intended)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts