BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my BMW TV tuner now only shows cosmic background radiation (snow) :(

I decided to take it apart to see if I can splice in a DVB-T tuner, since the box is half empty anyway.

This little 16-pin header from the RF-frontend appears to have a composite video pin, since it goes to a 75 Ohm resistor. This could be an easy place to insert a new video signal. Maybe I'll pull out an oscilloscope tomorrow to test my theory...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
So my BMW TV tuner now only shows cosmic background radiation (snow) :(

I decided to take it apart to see if I can splice in a DVB-T tuner, since the box is half empty anyway.

This little 16-pin header from the RF-frontend appears to have a composite video pin, since it goes to a 75 Ohm resistor. This could be an easy place to insert a new video signal. Maybe I'll pull out an oscilloscope tomorrow to test my theory...
Similar thing is being done by an Aus company, retrofittiing a digital tuner into the Lear box.
Their offering is still in the $400 region although has full functionality from the headunit controls and I believe has tv guide operational unlike the oem hybrid unit.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Similar thing is being done by an Aus company, retrofittiing a digital tuner into the Lear box.
Their offering is still in the $400 region although has full functionality from the headunit controls and I believe has tv guide operational unlike the oem hybrid unit.
Interesting. Some plz get me a photo of their insides.

·
me
10,374 Posts

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Do you have the details, i'll buy one

·
Registered
311 Posts
$400 is a bit steep for something that wont get used that much from me, keen for other possible alternatives. Subscribed.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this any use? Seems alot cheaper than other options being mentioned.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200611802514?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
What a deceptive/secretive ad. that is. I have literally no idea what they're selling.

I guess the plan was to buy one of these Chinese 12V tuners on ebay and wire it into the AV input. Then as a stage two, work out a way to change channels through the headunit buttons instead of the crappy remote.

But those tuners could be a pile of rubbish ($90+), who's brave enough to get one?

1 - 20 of 256 Posts