BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which Amp Kit?

• Monster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scosche EFX

• Lightning Audio

• Rockford Fosgate

• Street Wires

• KnuKoncepts

• Other (please respond)

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've got the amp (a/d/s/ P4100 - [email protected]) and components (JL XR525-CSis, going to bi-amp) for my front upgrade, but now need to buy the amp kit and speaker wire.

When I did my Stealthboxes in the rear, I went with a Monster amp kit and Rockford Fosgate speaker wire. I bought all the stuff at Best Buy and the price wasn't too bad, but probably could get a better deal on eBay.

So, on eBay, the kits available are Scosche EFX, Street Wires, Lightning Audio and a couple Rockford Fosgate and Monster. Anyone have definite yeas/neas on these?

Also, this place called KnuKonceptz is all over eBay, and offers pretty big gauge kits (0/4/8) for good prices, and they say they're comparable with Street Wires. Anyone use them, or are they the kind of bottom-feeder crap vendors you see on eBay alot?

Thanks.

·
hammer talks like this
4,219 Posts
what size are you looking for??? ive used phoenix gold wires in the past... most of my stuff i bought didnt come in kits(0 gauge).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, duh, that's an important detail. I'm not sure what the a/d/s/ can take yet, but I'll probably go with 4 gauge power/ground wires and 8-12 gauge amp-crossover/crossover-speaker wire.

The a/d/s/ is a big amp, but I'm not going to be trying to make myself deaf, so probably don't want 0 gauge, plus don't want the extra hassle of trying to hide such thick wire under trim, etc.

·
hammer talks like this
4,219 Posts
i dont think you need a full amp kit. i wouldnt buy one... you're not gonna need a 17 foot power wire nor 16 foot rca wires. just one amp?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MCD007, from you're statement, you're saying that KnuConceptz should be considered, right?

bender, I plan to install the amp under the front passenger seat, so I won't need 17 ft. of power cable, but at least 6-10ft depending on routing.

As far as the RCAs, I'm not sure if I can tap into the factory harness in the front of the car, but if I can, then we're talking a real short RCA run. If I have to tap in in the back, then we're talking farther, but not 17ft.

Anyhow, I understand your point, but these kits are $30-60 on eBay, so it seems that it would be difficult to buy shorter pieces separately for a cheaper price. I probably will have to buy shorter RCAs separately, but I'm willing to do that. Also, some of the kits don't come with RCAs at all, so in that case, I'm going to have to buy them separately anyway.

·
hammer talks like this
4,219 Posts
i dont like the rca's that come with most these kits... most are total crap... only rcas that came in a kit that ive ever liked where Rockford gamma rca's. have you place the amp under the seat to be sure everything will still work?(clearance wise and power seats)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree that alot of the RCAs with the kits are of questionable quality, but as I said, I'm probably going to have to buy another set anyway.

The amp isn't here yet, so not sure, but by measurements, it should fit, and the a/d/s/s are very low profile for the specific purpose to fit in tight places like under seats.

If it doesn't fit, and I have to tap into the harness in the trunk again, that might be for the best, as I can mount the amp and crossovers to the trunk roof like my present Alpine/Stealthbox setup. This way I'll have a shorter run from the harness tap-ins (RCAs) as well as shorter power and ground leads.

Downside is I'll have a longer bi-amped speaker runs, but at 8-12 gauge, that should still work fine.

First all the stuff needs to get here, then it needs to get warm enough to do the 4-5 hour install! :banghead:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, I'm going to do that, but I've already started my research on eBay, asking the E46ers, etc. -- then when it gets here, I can finalize my decision immediately and get it here quick (more waiting :banghead: )...

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
Yes KnuKonceptz is fine. I have seen many people using their stuff. What I would do is get whatever length of power wire u need from whatever brand offers the most strands for the particular gauge you want. Same goes for the speaker wire. From there you can take your pick of RCA cables. I prefer radioshack RS gold for rcas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts