BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After turning off the ignition, I noticed that the amber (not red) light stays lit. If I start the motor again, the light goes away. I haven't noticed it while driving iether. Anyone know what this means? I had a coolant flush a couple weeks ago, and I was not due for an oil change. I'm especially bummed because I lent my ScanGuage out to my father and have nothing to scan codes with:banghead:.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an oil leak?
That's a negative there good buddy. No oil leak or smells or anything. No blue smoke out the tailpipe either. I'm wondering if they didn't drain a small sample at the dealership while they were performing the coolant flush. I think they may do this just to check for filings or consistancy/viscosity. I'd be surprised, however if they failed to check the levels and add more oil. Anyone know what a quort of this BMW oil costs? Maybe I'll pick one up after work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
its you oil level sensor... search is your freind .....

You need a new oil level sensor I just had to put one in my 330xi.. there is a service information buletion on them. ( not a recal) they have updated the parts, these are know to fail and give false low oil level readings.

if you are under warranty this will be covered other wise I belive the sensor is around 100 ish bucks, plus you have to drain and fill the oil so 7qts of oil on top of that ( might as well do a filter at this point) + labor

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,755 Posts
if you go under the bonnet(hood) and check the dipstick and notice there is plenty there, its your sensor. Most of the time though if its a malfunctioning sensor, this light turns on in the beginning of an engine start...so if its displaying after (which it does also) it may simply be that you are low on oil... Go to a local auto zone and get mobil 1 synthetic 0-40w or 5-30w(your preference) for like 6 bux and dump it in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
no thats fine.

Why dont you people listen to me? here....

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 07 03 dated February 2004.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Engine Low Oil Level Warning With Ignition Off

MODEL
E39 (M54, M62TU) with Xenon lights (option 522) produced in 03/03

E53 (M54, M62TU) with Xenon lights (option 522) from 10/02 up to 03/03

MODEL II
All with M52TU, M54, S54, M56, M62, S62, and M73 Engines

SITUATION
In certain instances the customer may complain of the low oil level light on or a low oil level message in the check control after the ignition has been turned off. Checking the oil level with the dipstick shows the correct oil level.

Important Note:

For the complaint of "low oil level message displayed while driving, on X5 4.4 up to 10/02 production", refer to Service Measure B11 200 04 (January '04).

CAUSE I
Coding data error in Light Check Module IV (LCM IV).

CAUSE II
The oil level sensor has been contaminated, reducing the capability of the sensor to accurately determine oil level.

CORRECTION FOR CAUSE I
On a customer complaint basis only, recode the LCM module with DIS CD 34, or higher.

CORRECTION FOR CAUSE II
On a customer complaint basis only, replace the oil level sensor and refill engine with fresh oil.

PROCEDURE II
Ensure the engine is warm. Loosen oil filter cover to allow engine oil to drain into oil pan. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove any underbody paneling or reinforcement as necessary to gain access to the sensor. Drain the oil. Disconnect the plug connection (1) and unscrew the three nuts (2) fastening the sensor to the oil pan. Clean the sealing surface of the oil pan in the location of the sensor. Replace the sensor and gasket ring with new parts. Reinstall the underbody paneling or reinforcement and lower vehicle. Tighten the oil filter housing cover and refill crankcase to proper level with new oil. Do not reuse the original oil!

[R121011.JPG]
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

12 61 7 508 003
Oil level sensor

12 61 1 744 292
Gasket ring

07 51 0 017 866
Oil
Amount as necessary to fill.

your car falls under cause II

But dont ask me I am not a BMW master tech :rolleyes

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no thats fine.

Why dont you people listen to me? here....
It's not that I don't believe you, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't low on oil first. If the dipstick isn't low, then likely I need to take it in and have a warantee repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ya your oil level is fine,

that notch = 1 qt so if your oil was at the bottom of it, then it would be 1qt low. ( but even at 1qt low that usually wont set the light on yet)

so you are 1/2 qt low to full which is perfectly ok

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
its you oil level sensor... search is your freind .....

You need a new oil level sensor I just had to put one in my 330xi.. there is a service information buletion on them. ( not a recal) they have updated the parts, these are know to fail and give false low oil level readings.

if you are under warranty this will be covered other wise I belive the sensor is around 100 ish bucks, plus you have to drain and fill the oil so 7qts of oil on top of that ( might as well do a filter at this point) + labor
^Common failure point, Crevier has the part about $60 easy DIY durring oil change.

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
On a side note how low does the oil have to be in order to trigger a properly operating level sensor? I checked mine and the level was just a hair under the minimum mark.

·
Registered
851 Posts
typically near the lower mark (1 quart low) but very agressive driving will cause it trigger before the mark,as the oil is pushed to the sides of the oil pan under g forces; therfore In some cases it may come one before the 1 quart mark and if you baby it it may not come on until you are just past 1 quart mark

Very similiar to how some E46 (especially M3's) will suffer from fuel starvation in ceratin turns if your fuel level is low

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
typically near the lower mark (1 quart low) but very agressive driving will cause it trigger before the mark,as the oil is pushed to the sides of the oil pan under g forces; therfore In some cases it may come one before the 1 quart mark and if you baby it it may not come on until you are just past 1 quart mark

Very similiar to how some E46 (especially M3's) will suffer from fuel starvation in ceratin turns if your fuel level is low
LOL Agressive driving :excited: . That probably explains it. I remember slamming the gas pedal down and pulling a hard turn just before I parked it in the parking lot. I didn't want to wait for the LONG signal, so I blew through on a yellow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts