E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to do the oil filter housing gasket and i am trying to remove the alternator... problem is the top bolt that goes through the pulley is stuck on like a b!tc4... i tried and tried to get it to budge for the past 45 minutes and its not giving away. Ive tried my socket wrench, my adjustable wrench, the other wrench that is the size of the bolt. NOTHING WORKS!:banghead:

Did anyone else have this issue before??? What are some ways to get this sucker loose?

Btw Ive been turning the bolt counterclockwise (right to left facing the engine) it still wont come out..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any one got any tips i got a serious headache from this ... and my arm is sore from all the budging of the bolt

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Sounds like you need more leverage, a couple of months ago I changed out my alternator and used a breaker bar to loosen that bolt. Just my two and a half cents worth...

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The Alternator DIY and removal is something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy.

Definitely one of the most grueling DIYs I've ever managed to complete when I owned my 318i E36 back in 2007.

Yes I was ONLY able to get it out with a pick axe from my Mom's garden tool shed and lots of Liquid Wrench!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
^^haha nice Delmarco.

I was able to break loose that bolt with brut force as the others have mentioned. Add liquid wrench or the like, give it a bit and then get a good long breaker bar or some sort of leverage and go to town man. GL.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alrighty thanks everybody, glad to know im not the only one with this issue, liquid wrench and breaker bar it is...so does anyone think autozone would be open tomorrow?

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,880 Posts
That bolt shouldn't be that hard to remove- there's an easy access to it, etc. I had no problem taking it out when I replaced the oil filter housing gasket.
The alternator itself is a bit difficult to remove and harder to install, but I didn't need a pick axe - just pull straight up and it will come off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
not to rub it in but mine came out quite easy, getting it lined up and back in was a bit of a pain tho. i also used some PB Blaster before and after to clean up the threads

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That bolt shouldn't be that hard to remove- there's an easy access to it, etc. I had no problem taking it out when I replaced the oil filter housing gasket.
The alternator itself is a bit difficult to remove and harder to install, but I didn't need a pick axe - just pull straight up and it will come off.
trust me, trying to remove that bolt was harder than doing the ccv system... my sockets kept falling into the fan shroud, my arm is tired, and that bolt got a little stripped... and its still not out.. but i will try the liquid wrench on monday

·
Registered
136 Posts
you think the ccv system was easier! god i coulda used you a couple weeks ago, i thought i was gonna sawzaw the engine apart to get that ***** in there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts