BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After scouring threads about battery problems and checking voltage and grounds I decided my problem lies in the alternator. I go through the process of removal in the Bentley Service manual and I get to the part where I have to turn the alternator belt tensioner release lug, and it tells me to do this clockwise. I start to turn the lug and the belt does not loosen. Then...SNAP! the bolt breaks...:censor: Anyone have any idea what I can do?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow!:bow: much appreciated, I thought I was the only idiot in the world who would pull such a stupid move.

·
Registered
157 Posts
tito323i while you have the alternator out you should check behind the alternator on the engine block. If you see a lot of oil back there you might want to consider going the extra step and replace the gasket between the engine and the oil filter housing, it tends to leak, a 6 dollar part to replace.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=657887

Easy to do and while you have the oil filter housing out, you can remove that snapped bolt with ease. please note that you will need to remove the power steering pump.
There are 3 bolts holding it in place.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts