E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its on my dad's car, but I do all the (preventive) maintance on the cars.
Its a 2002 330xi with 62,XXX miles.
Well, I started the car this morning to let it warm up, and once i got in the car I noticed an odd smell. It wasn't like the typical burning, smelly oil stink, BUT sure enough I saw the header heatshields had oil on them at the rear.
I wonder why the VCG typically fails at the passenger rear side on these cars? Out of the handful of VCG's I have replaced, the VCG has always failed at that exact spot. I believe it to be back by the half moons.

I just want to say that IMO it seems a little early for the valve cover gasket to fail... but maybe I am just a little upset bc i have to get my hands dirty.

Now, where do you all recommend me buying a VCG??
Also, I believe some brake cleaner will take care of cleaning up the oil residue, any opinions??

BTW, I did post this on BF.c too but I thought that i would vent a little over here as well.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
If you're going to be in there, you might as well do the vanos seals at the same time; not that much more work. As for where to get the VCG and related pieces, I'd say tischer is a good place to order them

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
It's really not that big of a deal.. DIYs put it at like an hours work. Just get the gasket from the dealer, pretty sure it sells for less than 50 bucks.

Gaskets are influenced by more than mileage, your dads car may only have ~60k on the clock but its almost 8 years old (and to be honest 60k is not exactly low mileage).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got ours at the dealer, and I think it took me about 45 minutes to do that, along with changing the spark plugs.

Might as well change the plugs while your in there too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got mine from bavauto.com, pelicanparts is slow at getting some bmw only supplied parts, thats why I hate them.
Bavauto has excellent customer service.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just discovered that my VCG failed with 48K on the odometer. It is a disconcerting experience to plunge your socket into the spark plug recess, only to discover a vat of oil.

I wouldn't use Tischer if you want your parts delivered quickly. You don't know if they have a part in stock until after you purchase it, and then it is very difficult to get them to answer your inquiries.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
9,835 Posts
Well, you have it easy. I replaced the one on my wife's car around 100K miles, and it's already leaking again and she has about 115K. :( not sure what the F would have happened because i was meticulously careful when doing this, but alas, oil on the passenger side heat shields again. F!!!!

By the way, Bav Auto does have good customer service, but I've never had any issues regarding customer service from Tischer or Pelican, and I've used each many, many times over because bav auto just cannot touch their prices. If I need it quick, I get it from bav auto cause it's in NH and I am in MA, but if I can wait, i 100% of the time go with Pelican or Tischer

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
I got mine from bavauto.com, pelicanparts is slow at getting some bmw only supplied parts, thats why I hate them.
Bavauto has excellent customer service.
Pelican stocks this part and they're super fast. :)

Well, you have it easy. I replaced the one on my wife's car around 100K miles, and it's already leaking again and she has about 115K. :( not sure what the F would have happened because i was meticulously careful when doing this, but alas, oil on the passenger side heat shields again. F!!!!

By the way, Bav Auto does have good customer service, but I've never had any issues regarding customer service from Tischer or Pelican, and I've used each many, many times over because bav auto just cannot touch their prices. If I need it quick, I get it from bav auto cause it's in NH and I am in MA, but if I can wait, i 100% of the time go with Pelican or Tischer
Did you use the RTV red sealant when you did the VCG the last time? If not that is perhaps the reason why it has begun to leak.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just discovered that my VCG failed with 48K on the odometer. It is a disconcerting experience to plunge your socket into the spark plug recess, only to discover a vat of oil.

I wouldn't use Tischer if you want your parts delivered quickly. You don't know if they have a part in stock until after you purchase it, and then it is very difficult to get them to answer your inquiries.
I agree... it is kind of aggravating!

AND, thank you to everyone for their responses.

·
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source
881 Posts
:confused:You're in CA and we're in MD. Even if your parts are in stock and they ship on the same day - count on a good 5 business days to get to you. When a part isn't in stock and we have to order from BMW, add another 2-4 business days to that(2-3 weeks if the parts have to come out of Germany).

Your current order was placed last Sunday(recognized your name), so we didn't receive it here until Monday - as we're closed on weekends. The special order parts ordered Monday arrived here this morning, and your order will be promptly packaged up for shipment by this afternoon.

As for contacting us, there are 2 ways to get ahold of Evan or I in our signatures on this site(+ PM's). We post often enough when we can, so we're not hard to find. If you're sending inquiries throught the Message Center on our site, it doesn't work and we aren't getting them. We do address this issue - in red text - directly above the submission form on that page. Search this forum to see the feedback on our customer service, we're probably the easiest vendor to get ahold of, and we even offer Live Chat on AIM. But if you don't contact us by one of the methods given, we can't guarantee a reply.

Also, while I'm on it - there's no way for us to be able to update our inventory in real-time on the site. We operate out of an actual BMW dealership. Considering the thousands and thousands of parts available from BMW, and the fact that 3 other functioning departments use the same inventory that we do here - it's literally impossible for the site to show every item that's in stock and every item that's not. But if you're unsure and you're in a pinch, just shoot us a quick message and we'll get right back to you. Give us a try, we won't disappoint - I promise!

Ok, that is all - peace :thumbsup:

P.S. - would you like an entry into our $1,000.00 Shopping Spree Giveaway for your order?;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
:confused:You're in CA and we're in MD. Even if your parts are in stock and they ship on the same day - count on a good 5 business days to get to you. When a part isn't in stock and we have to order from BMW, add another 2-4 business days to that(2-3 weeks if the parts have to come out of Germany).

As for contacting us, there are 2 ways to get ahold of Evan or I in our signatures on this site(+ PM's). We post often enough when we can, so we're not hard to find. If you're sending inquiries throught the Message Center on our site, it doesn't work and we aren't getting them. We do address this issue - in red text - directly above the submission form on that page. Search this forum to see the feedback on our customer service, we're probably the easiest vendor to get ahold of, and we even offer Live Chat on AIM. But if you don't contact us by one of the methods given, we can't guarantee a reply.
Jason

Thanks for the reply. Since your organization won't respond to my e-mails or PMs, and AIM doesn't recognize your screen name, let me ask my question on this forum. Can you delete the Z4 Diff Cover from my order? I am planning on installing my Diff either this weekend or Monday and it doesn't seem likely that it will get here on time.

In my opinion, your organization is very difficult to get ahold of. Why have an online message request system that doesn't work? Why say you have online chat when AOL doesn't show that you are online? Why say that you respond to e-mails and PMs, and then don't? Yes, Tischner has great prices. Yes, I have ordered on Monday's and received product on Fridays. However, now I know not to order parts that you really need by a certain date.

·
881 Posts
Jason

Thanks for the reply. Since your organization won't respond to my e-mails or PMs, and AIM doesn't recognize your screen name, let me ask my question on this forum. Can you delete the Z4 Diff Cover from my order? I am planning on installing my Diff either this weekend or Monday and it doesn't seem likely that it will get here on time.
It's actually already complete and done. As an act of good faith, I'll make sure the order gets to you for tomorrow. See below..

Why have an online message request system that doesn't work?
That's a great question, and it's the same one that we've been asking the software company that runs our site for years. We're in the process of finally having them take it down and having a direct-contact form that filters right to our [email protected] address - but for now, we just have to make the best of what we've been giving to use.

In my opinion, your organization is very difficult to get ahold of. Why say you have online chat when AOL doesn't show that you are online? Why say that you respond to e-mails and PMs, and then don't? Yes, Tischner has great prices. Yes, I have ordered on Monday's and received product on Fridays. However, now I know not to order parts that you really need by a certain date.
Do me a favor and try out [email protected] , a PM to Evan or I, or hit us up on AIM. Our Screen Names are definitely correct, we Chat almost non-stop all day long with our customers(but remember, we're three hours ahead of you over here - so if you try at 2:30PM, we're already closed for the day). If you can't get it to work, PM me your Screen Name and I'll hit you up. We're easy to get along with, but please work with us. We're a two-man 'Organization' here, and we do our best - ask around:thumbsup:

·
881 Posts
To the OP, so that I contribute to this thread;):

We do have the OEM BMW E46 Valve Cover Gasket Kit on special here on our site, and we do keep these in stock pretty much at all times - so it wouldn't be a problem to get one shipped out right away to you once ordered - if interested.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jason

In my opinion, your organization is very difficult to get ahold of. Why have an online message request system that doesn't work? Why say you have online chat when AOL doesn't show that you are online? Why say that you respond to e-mails and PMs, and then don't? Yes, Tischner has great prices. Yes, I have ordered on Monday's and received product on Fridays. However, now I know not to order parts that you really need by a certain date.
I've ordered a handful of times from tisch and I've never had a problem. My orders came fast and those guys were always responsive on PM.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.