E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I take off my Valve Cover, which is no longer leaking, to replace my VANOS seals do I need to add more RTV or anything? Can I just take off the Valve Cover, do the seals diy, and put the cover back on without expecting any leaks to occur? I hope I don't need to replace the VCG every time the Valve cover comes off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clean old rtv... Apply new.. Think logically

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
No need to be a d!ck with the thinking logically comment. Didn't know the RTV would simply peel off or have lost it's sealing properties in 1,000 miles. Thank you everybody for the quick replies

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would not risk the possibility of future leaks. Redo with brand new VCG and rtv sealant. Its not expensive

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
That's how I felt about it, but my reply wasn't any better.
Let's not get too polite here on this board or I'll wake up wondering where I am!
A little bit of wise guy with solid tech advice is why I come here.
All in fun! Skin too thin not allowed.

RTV will harden. So it will tear when you disassemble. New will seal properly.
Probably can clean the VCG enough to work OK.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Let's not get too polite here on this board or I'll wake up wondering where I am!
A little bit of wise guy with solid tech advice is why I come here.
All in fun! Skin too thin not allowed.

RTV will harden. So it will tear when you disassemble. New will seal properly.
Probably can clean the VCG enough to work OK.
Translation: you need to be circumcised.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
1,000 miles is nothing, you can re use it!
just pull it out,
clean the cover and gasket. Wipe it clean.
then after the vanos are done,
return it as if you were putting on a new one.
no biggie

im being sincere here so please dont call me a d1ck lol

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Reuse it, as long as it still feels like rubber.
I did my vanos seals after 1 year of doing vcg. Still feels soft.
Do buy some RTV sealant.
It's $5 in any auto part shop. It's really soft red substance, so it won't really deform the VCG after you tighten the screws. The extra orange sealant just get all pushed out of the edges. Might not be pleasant for the aesthetics of the engine bay but who cares, as long it keeps the oil in.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Make sure the sealant you are using is O2 states that it is O2 sensor safe. It will say so on the package. Some of them are not. Also, some will debate about how much of it would take to damage a sensor, but why take a chance? See paragraph 3 in the link below. There is also a post on the Forum about it, and you can check Bosch's website. I thought it was BS when I heard it, but it seems to be true.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/JF-Tech/about_oxygen_sensor.htm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.