BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your thoughts on tint on white cars? Personally I never installed tint on any of my vehicles but my 330i sedan is my first that I purchased with it already installed. I love the look of clean clear glass and it will highlight the interior which is natural brown leather.

Thoughts?

Leave it or remove it?

I think it's 35%

2004 330 M-Tech 1 in Alpine White w/ Natural Brown Leather by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

2004 330 M-Tech 1 in Alpine White w/ Natural Brown Leather by Brandon Smith, on Flickr

I don't want to hide this sexy interior

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
my thought about tinted windows are that it's best not had strictly for looks. it should be used for its benefits: privacy, interior protection, heat reducer, glare reducer, headlight blocker at night, etc.

since you love the look of clear glass, make the car as you will like it best.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
Love the look of a white e46. Would have been my first choice if Metallic Grey-Green was not available.
Tint to your preference and practicallity.
I drive in the SouthWest and you would not want clear windows there.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I never liked tint too. I mean it looks cool on other cars. When I had to get a new car after mine was totaled I lucked up on one with tent. Now I love it. Comparing to my last bimmer, the tint really protects the seats and everything else Alex said I totally agree.

When you roll your windows down or open your do thats when you can display the nice interior. Keep it

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,593 Posts
my thought about tinted windows are that it's best not had strictly for looks. it should be used for its benefits: privacy, interior protection, heat reducer, glare reducer, headlight blocker at night, etc.

I'm with Alex on this. I like all the benefits of tint but don't particularly care for how it looks. I'd never tint my windows for looks.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts

+1

I've never gone out of my way to tint a car, but have purchased cars with tinted windows already there, which was the case with my coupe. I've enjoyed the benefits for the most part.

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
I would got 50% for the tint, that interior is beautiful so don't darken it too much. My rule of thumb however is go one shade darker on the rear windshield only, 35%. Reason being, is that the opposing window (front windshield) is not tinted. When you look through the side of the car you are looking through two windows that are 50%. When you are looking from the back it will appear much lighter.

The C pillar separates the 50% and 35% tint so it will not stick out like a sore thumb.

I have 35% on my car and when the rear windshield was 35%, it was wayyyyy lighter than I wanted. Changed it to 20% and it came out perfect.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As an Alpine White E46 owner I'd say I may be prejudiced. I'd go a bit darker in the back but lighten it up for the front two. My white SUV is done like that and it works good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Personally I like to match the tint front and back, otherwise it looks like a suv or limo.
i have 20% all around with a 5% visor on the windshield going to the bottom of the rearview mirror on a silver car with the gray interior,
since i have a light colored interior, daytime it looks like 50% tint or so, nighttime is back to being dark :)
i had 35% originally but honestly it doesn't even look like the window is tinted so I had to go darker

·
Registered
18,800 Posts
why do people paint those impact strips :(

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
I've always wondered this. I think some people are obsessed with the "clean" look. Granted, it looks good in some applications but I think on some colors, the black looks pretty sharp. The contrast is nice and adds to the natural lines of the e46.

Painting reflectors and de-badging can clean up a car. Sometimes this is too much.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I think the black impact strips is what makes the sedan look great. especially on alpine white. my brother has an alpine white 330 and it's stunning

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
why do people paint those impact strips :(
probably the same reason for doing the door "rub strips", trunk handle and roof rails. cleaner body-colored looking like the Coupes.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
It was an option from factory. Personally I hate them, colour matched impact stripes make the car look 5 years newer.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Are you sure about that?

It looks very unnatural to me and really bugs me. Don't get my wrong OP, your car looks great, but if it were mine the first thing I'd be investing in is a set of black impact strips like BMW intended

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,473 Posts
It was an option from factory. Personally I hate them, colour matched impact stripes make the car look 5 years newer.
interesting must be a Canadian market thing. never seen it listed as an option on the USA market sedans.

i have however seen the Chrome Line option, makes the strips and door handles chrome :eek:

on the higher end USA 330i the trunk handle and roof rails come painted body colored.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts