BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently bought this setup from clearm3 here (thanks buddy) and now im wondering if i would need a bypass switch to disactivate the video screen warning. if i choose a bypass it would be the pac tr 7. but is this bypass necissay? would i all i need to do is install the headunit w/ brain and the dvd changer?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Didn't know about that product. Sounds like a nice little unit.
On the Alpines, to keep people from watching the screen while driving, you have to go through a series of steps (foot brake/parking brake sequence), which is very annoying every time you turn the key on. Highly recommend bypassing it, even though you are not watching movies while driving, right? ;)

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but would i need to bypass in order to run the dvd changer?

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone have the slightest clue what color the e-brake wire is, what color the hand brake and foot brake wires are?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Don't know the colors, but you can easily find them. There has to be a mechanical switch at the e-brake. The wire should get a "ground" when the brake is pulled. The brake wire should get a "positive" when brake is pressed. You can either tien into the tailight wire or the switch at the brake.

Check the wires with a voltmeter (DC voltage position)

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so should i cut that wire or tap into it with the tr-7 wire?

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Don't cut any wires! just strip the insulation with wire strippers and tap on the wire. Soldering and good quality tape is preferred method, but you can use the crimp taps or wrap the wire and tape.

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i did everything correctly. which wire would support the 12+ volatage? i attached it to the red wire. and found out that the yellow/blue and yellow/black wire were the ones i needed.

yet the unit still didnt work.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
I am confused. If you are hooking up the alpine unit to the brake/parking brake wires, then just do as I said.

If you are using the tr-7 adaptor you probably don't need to do this. I have no experience with the adaptor, but I assume you hook it up to power, ground and ignition and the two inputs from the alpine. Maybe some programming required as well? Follow the instructions on the pac unit.

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i know. i did all this. programed it, then i installed it following all the instructions. but i heard that if i had other installed units (ie cd changer) on it, then it would be different.

and is the red wire supposed to be hot while the car is on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts