BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random MP3 Selection

Can the unit randomly select MP3 songs from any of your 6 CDs? Or do you have to burn the songs randomly on to your CDs.

Thanks.

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
The headunit, or whatever you are using to control the CD changer, should be able to support the random play.

dave

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave: Oops. I forgot to mention that I'm just using the OEM head unit, not an aftermarket. Would this setup still work for random selection of MP3 songs?

Bender: Nope, not yet. My order is still "pending". I've already sent them an email about my order status. Hopefully it will change soon. If not, I'll have to cancel and order it from someone else.

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
sucks waiting a small part to complete your finished product... im still waiting on a dvd remote from pioneer!

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bender: I got an email back regarding my order. It's out of stock. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Thus I sent an email back to cancel the order.

I then proceeded to order it from someone else. I signed up to be notified when the item would be in stock by them. I got the email from them this afternoon that they have it in stock. So I ordered it from them. Hopefully it hasn't run out of stock yet. If all goes well, I'll get it in 2-3 days. :banghead: :banghead:

But yeah...such a small part. But it sure plays such a big role. :banghead: :banghead:

--
TTen: This is my setup.

Head Unit = OEM BMW (Factory)
CD Changer = S634
Adapter = Soundgate
Adapter 2 = KCA-130B (on order)

I'm guessing I won't have the random feature (besides physically burning it randomly on the CDs, eh?). :banghead: :banghead:

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mid-December? Accck!!!! You're worse off than I am. Hehehe.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kewl! My adapter has shipped (from the new vendor). :D

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you burn songs into "Folders/Directories" with this CD Changer? I have some files that have the same song title.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bender said:

i say ups drive by my house and it slowed down right by my house.... and drop off a package to my neighbor!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
You can burn to folders but, and maybe it's my imagination, there seems to be a longer delay between tracks when it moves from folder to folder.. Random only works on disc, it won't randomize across all discs.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I'll have to experiment on CDRWs (so I can reuse the CDs again if it doesn't work to my liking).

I hope the delay isn't that long (for a folder setup), but I guess I'll find out (this weekend, I hope).

As long as there is randomization on a single CD, I'm fine with that (as I realize randomizing across 6 CDs may not be the best option to do--as it my prove to be even a longer delay).

I'll experiment around and see what happens. Maybe after I go through a few weeks, I'll do a write/review on it.

But now...I still have to wait for my adapter to come.

To be continued...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Delay seems really f'in annoying at first. But as you quit using the in-dash cd you forget how fast it's track switching was and then it seems normal. I could swear that track switching is a lot faster now than when I first got it, but I think it's just getting used to it.

Beware trying to fast forward too quickly, if I start trying to skip tracks to quick it'll start to actually skip backward to previous tracks. Not sure why. :dunno:

Small prices to pay though.

What adapter did you order that you're waiting for?

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Current Status

1. Alpine CHA-S634
2. OEM Head Unit ('99 323i)
3. Soungate Adapter
4. Alpine KCA-130B Adapter

I have all the necessary components, and the CD changer is working fine. It can play the MP3 songs just fine. However I can't seem to get the random selection thing to work (if there is such a thing).

Currently, it will play the MP3 songs alphabetically (starting with numbers first). For example the following.

Suppose you have 4 songs:
1. Powerhouse
2. 1000 Miles
3. Wishful Thinking
4. Memory

Even if you burn them in random order on your playlist:
1. Wishful Thinking
2. 1000 Miles
3. Memory
4. Powerhouse

It will play them in this order:
1. 1000 Miles
2. Memory
3. Powerhouse
4. Wishful Thinking

Is there a way to get it to play randomly?

Remember, I just have the original OEM head unit. Is random play not possible with my current setup (listed above)? :cry: :bawling: :mad:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm pretty certain that it won't read a playlist, it just scans the file system and plays the songs. Since the file system sorts alphabetically that's how it plays.

I cheat it though, put albums in their own directory and then put a # in front of them in the order I want it to play.

As for random play, check the head unit. As a cd is playing there's a RND over one of the "-" keys in the secondary display. Press that key and it'll randomize it's play.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok...I can't find the RND keys/button. Got a picture of your dash?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts