·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to everyone
After selling my beloved 330D...

here is the thread:
330d topazblau TOURING

...and driving E60 for three years, I surrendered to my inner urge to buy this excellent driving machine E46 again. After several months long search on the car selling web sites I conntacted owner of one master piece from near Stuttgart. The guy was excelent seller who told me every detail from the car history, took it to the workshop his family owned, changed all fluids and made more detailed pictures from the bottom of the car. Car is equipped with automatic transmission so even my wife can use it to drive to work and back when needed, or to take it for a drive sometimes when I will be abroad for longer period I sometimes do. Suspension was replaced for KW KV1 version. Exhaust is Eisenman up to cats. Head unit is replaced for android type and subwoofer is in rear seats. Exterior of the car is designed like the ZHP in every possible way one can option here in Europe. Only alcantara steering wheel, shifter, handbrake boots and red needles on gauge cluster are excluded. Unfortunately, first owner repainted silver cube trim which is a pity. I will definitely keep you updated with all mods, repairs, or pictures I will do to it.

Maintenance and mods:

Cat Back Intermediate Muffler Section EISENMANN b5304.0001
2x70mm Performance Exhaust EISENMANN b5304.00700
Cooling System Check, Coolant Change, Expansion Tank Cap
Brake Pads Front + Rear ATP
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Assembly (Hydraulic)
Front + Rear Shock Top Mount MEYLE
Transmission Flush, Oil and filter change
Tie Rod Assembly Left + Right, Driveline parts
Styling 135M Repaint
Subwoofer Axton ATB25B

Headunit + Android upgrade v 6.0 ERISINE
Differential Oil Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W-90
Summer Tires 2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 255/35 ZR18
Nozzle Headlight Cleaner Magnetti Marelli 711307030115
Power Steering Fluid Reservoir LEMFORDER
Washer Fluid Jet MAGNETTI MARELLI
Power Steering Hose MEYLE 3592020001
Power Steering Pump BMW 32416760034
Oil Filter Cap Vaico V20-1802
Power steering hose FEBI 36876
Reinforcement brace screws BMW 31106772199
Front struts Reinforcment plates BMW 51717036781
Taillights ground connection reinforcement
Interior trim repaint
Undercarriage rust removal and protection

Sidemarkers
Torque Converter and transmission Rebuild
Valve Cover Grommet 15x FEBI 24322
Valve Cover Gasket VIKTOR REINZ 15-33077-02
Spark Plugs NGK BKR6EQUP
VANOS oil hose Washer 2x BMW 32411093596
VANOS oil hose MEYLE 3590010002
Vanos fit bolt 2x BMW 11361748745
Repair Kit Brake Caliper 2x ERT 401435
Brake Hose rear 2x TRW PHB425
Oil Filter Housing Gasket BMW 11421719855
Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor BMW 12147518628
Position Sensor O-Ring BMW 12141748398
Repair Kit Double Vanos MEHENKER
Timing Cover Plug 2x BMW 11361433513

Sensor for Headlight Levelling Device Front FEBI 32328
Driver Door Break VIEROL vi v20-0911
Fuel Filter MANN WK 532/1
Windshield Perimeter Trim Moulding Gasket
Temperature gauge buffer range change
$_32.jpg
$_32 (6).jpg
$_32 (10).jpg
$_32 (8).jpg
$_32 (9).jpg
$_32 (13).jpg
$_32 (11).jpg
$_32 (12).jpg
$_32 (3).jpg
IMG_20180607_205056.jpg

$_32.jpg
$_32.jpg
$_32 (6).jpg
$_32 (10).jpg
$_32 (8).jpg
$_32 (9).jpg
$_32 (13).jpg
$_32 (11).jpg
$_32 (12).jpg
$_32 (3).jpg
IMG_20180607_205056.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice pick up!
Thanks

First mod I decided to do was to set the coilovers to the height of OEM sport suspension due to lower quality of roads we have in comparison to Germany. Now my ride height is according to specs 602mm in the front and 567 in the rear measured from the lowest edge through the hub up to the fender edge. Ride is now much more comfortable yet still sporty. Then I set the headlights to align it to new set up.
IMG_20180814_115847aresized.jpg
IMG_20180814_120136resized.jpg
IMG_20180814_121635resized.jpg
ride height a.jpg
ride height b.jpg
IMG_20180707_224016resized.jpg
IMG_20180707_224029.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
The trim doesn’t look to bad painted

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that most car makers do not offer interior trim in exterior car color for a reason. To me it seems cheap. I just do not like it. Moreover the paint job has not been done properly and the cube pattern is still visible. Now the trim is in process of repainting to piano black. In the future I am planing to replace it with original silver cube.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Back to the story, even though car looked to be detailed and kept clean, I have a habit to do thorough clean after buying every car. Here are some pictures taken after that and also some before and after shots of alcantara restoration.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Stinky AC was flushed with Meguiars APC, soft brush, pressure washer and lots of water, then sanitized with dezinfection solution, and finally AC foam cleaner was applied. I also raplaced leaking headlight washer (Magneti Marelli)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
First failure. Power steering pump shaft sheared off 200km from home, two mountain passes on the way. Monday was an arm day. When replacing it with OEM piece (bought from BMW dealer, with IXETIC made in Bulgaria sticker and LUK embosed - pretty confusing origin) I did little system overhaul and replaced also pressure hose and return hose (Febi Bilstein - the last manufacturer I found offering DEXII, I know the DEXIII is more modern version replacing old versions but the steering system was made for and tested with DEXII so I wanted to stick with it), and reservoir with filter (Lemforder). Because steering rack has no drain plug I bought few liters of Febi DEXII ATF fluid more and every few kilometers I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir and filled it with fresh fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Being busy this week. First, I restored winter set up which had been really badly mistreated. It must have been Years that the break dust had not been washed off and it has etched into the top layer so that even the stiffest brush, dedicated wheel cleaner, and iron remover were not able to remove it. The only tool that could do the job was hard clay. But after agressive claying it was necessary to polish the clear coat to remove clay induced scratches. Because of complicated shape and little space between spokes it needs to be done by hand...probably 15 hours of work:loco:...then coated with Soft99 Fusso...some before and after pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
...and winter set up is on. While replacing wheels I installed front strut tower reinforcement plates (OEM) and cleaned and painted rear inner wheel arches as a rust prevention before winter...some more pictures...sorry for my face but the only way a could take a picture was by using front camera while looking at the display.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought that trim looked cool, but i agree it does look cheep- reminds me a VW bug. I actually have a spare wood set that id like to redo in piano black just like you. any pics of the final product?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought that trim looked cool, but i agree it does look cheep- reminds me a VW bug. I actually have a spare wood set that id like to redo in piano black just like you. any pics of the final product?
Thanks for appreciation. I have not had enough time to finish it yet. I managed to repaint them but have polished only three of them around the headunit. Just few fast shots now, I will post better pictures once it will be done completely.
So the trim was slightly sanded before filler application. Filler was then wetsanded by 500 grit sandpaper. black paint and several layers of clearcoat were sprayed over the filler. I sprayed the clearcoat in very thin layers to avoid runs, that on the other hand caused really heavy orange peel but I did not care because I knew that I am going to wetsand it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi leonidas. In respect to my thread here about maximum exhaust tip size https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1241637

Could you put a ruler to your Eisenmann tips and tell us if they are 70mm each or 76mm each? Thanks. (I want to get one, but very worried their 2x76mm will not fit without grinding the diffuser, they even claim it must be grinded.)
Hi, mine are 70mm so I could not help you much. I just measured clearance between upper edge of a tip and lower edge of a diffuser and there is 10mm so 76mm variant would fit onto my car without any problem. But I believe also the age of an exhaust hangers can maybe make a few milimeters difference. I do not know how old are mine. Plus one should let some room for exhaust to vibrate. In my eyes 70mm are pretty big to call them decent. I would not go with anything bigger than that but it depends on owner´s taste of course. Wish You good luck with the choice of your exhaust.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for appreciation. I have not had enough time to finish it yet. I managed to repaint them but have polished only three of them around the headunit. Just few fast shots now, I will post better pictures once it will be done completely. On the first picture you can see how the rest with heavy orange peel looks like before polishing.

Wow thats looks amazing. I’m looking to do the same with a spare wood set I have in my garage. I didn’t want the oem set because it was metallic. I’m also going to do the upper and lower steering wheel trim. You result is exactly what I’m shooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow thats looks amazing. I’m looking to do the same with a spare wood set I have in my garage. I didn’t want the oem set because it was metallic. I’m also going to do the upper and lower steering wheel trim. You result is exactly what I’m shooting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks and wish you good luck with your project. "Upper steering wheel trim" you mean the part with multifunction buttons? If I can give you an advice I would not do this piece. It will be too much of a gloss I think. But of course depends on you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Today I spent some time with my summer set up to put it to hibernation. After soap wash Iron remover was applied, then tar remover, remaining glue was peeled off, and finally rims were clayed. Tires were cleaned with All Purpose Cleaner and then coated in water based dressing.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Another week, another project. I tried to find, brush, and paint all the rust spots on an undercarriage. There were more of them than I firstly thought because most were hidden under the body insulation. it appeared only as a tiny crack brownish in color but rust under the crack was always much much larger. After applying two layers of paint I sprayed Fluid Film AS-R to keep the water and salt away from car. It was sprayed mainly into cavities where I could not adress rust physically. I still have to do front inner wheel arches but I have to wait for new bolts holding reinforcement brace which have to be removed to further remove plastic wheel wells covers. And bolts need to be raplaced after because they are torque to yield therefore I have to wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
After Fluid Film application pictures.... In spring I will go under the car and make the report about Fluid film performance for everyone who is interested.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts