BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fanatics,

I am in need of some advice. I live in Pennsylvania and get snow here about 6months of the year. I purchased a 01 325ci w/sports package earlier this summer. It currently has 225/45r17's on it (Continential's on Front / General's on Rear) and they have a very nice amount of tread left on them. (8/10)

My financial situation wont allow me to purchase a set of 4 dedicated snow tires for the winter :banghead:. I will only be driving to work and back (flat roads) which is less than a mile away, and occasionally to Walmart (same distance). I wont be traveling up hills and such, speed limits are only 25 in the city I live in so speed wont be a factor either, seeing I will be traveling like a Grandma throught the winters anyways.

My question is will my all seasons do me justice if I am only traveling 1 mile daily on flat roads. I understand this is a touchy subject with everyone so I have my flame suit on.

Has anyone here used all season tires through winters where snow is present, and can you please tell me how they worked out for you. Thanks Fanatics :thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
We don't get heavy snow here in Idaho but it does snow and freeze during the winter months pretty often.

I just bought Hankook V12s but was also considering the General GMAX AS03's. You're going to give up an aggressive look or >35R with an all season tire but it does come down to driving style, you can be plenty safe on a summer tire in the snow. I once got caught in snow with BFG KDW2's on my Z06 and that was a nightmare.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have continental extreme contact DWS and i love them. We had a ton of snow last winter and they did great. Any amount that was low enough not to scrape the front bumper that is.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Goodyear Eagle GTs are also good All Season tires. I have also had a good experience with Kuhmo ASX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im very glad to get 3 replies in a row by people using All Seasons, figured that I can make it with them, I am glad to see people do not have issues with them. I just dont see a point in a winter tire when I will drive at most 3 miles per day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
can't go wrong with Conti ExtremeContact DWS. They really shine in snow and wet conditions and are a popular tire. They are often backordered on Tirerack due to their popularity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts