BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a new A/S tire for my 2003 e46 sedan. I am pretty sure I have 205/50/R17, and am thinking about going to 215/50/R17 because some tires don't come in the 205 size... Will this work?

I currently have the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S and I just don't love the style.. the side walls are too rounded. The Conti's that came with my car were better than the Pirelli's in that regard. Any way, I am looking for an upgrade..

I really like the style of the Goodyear Eagle F1's and the Goodyear Eagle GT's, but have read some reviews that after 10,000 miles they start developing road noise issues. The PermaBlack technology is just what I am looking for, along with the squared sidewalls. Sporty tires.. Any one have experiences with these otherwise?

The other tires I am looking at are the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus's. Both seem about the same to me..

Any recommendations?
Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run Kumho Ecstas ASX. They aren't expensive and are decent in the snow. The only downside is after some miles, there is ALOT of road noise. I am not sure if I would run an All Season again, rather opt for a winter and summer set up. From what I understand, road noise is a common issue with All Season Tires.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have goodyear f1 A/S they are great but as you said after a while , it make noise .
depend what you looking for, performance ? noise ? or price?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would put my order like this: 1. style, 2. comfort (Metro Detroit potholes), 3. quite. I'd rather no spend more than $200 per tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the drawback of bumping up the size from 205 to 215? Will they fit right? Will the ride be the same?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ill second what Gray said. I have the RE960s on my 330i and there a great tire. Quiet on most payment, and stick almost as good as the RE760s I had before them. The ride is a little more complient than the RE760s, and the wet traction is great, and here in central florida, durring the rainy season you need all the help that you can get.

Also, I went 225/45/17 and tires fit great, no issues at all. I had a 215/45/17 before with the Falken 452, didnt feel as planted as both of the Bridgestones have in the 225/45/17...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Bringing this back up...

what are the advantages to buying the Michelin Sport AS over the Eagle GTs given the price differenece? (164 vs 93)?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I have read, the Goodyear's have excessive road noise after about 10k miles, so I chose the Michelin's.

Bringing this back up...

what are the advantages to buying the Michelin Sport AS over the Eagle GTs given the price differenece? (164 vs 93)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts