BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting my 325i in less than a month (hopefully) and it will have a navigation system. I am wondering how well it works and some of the function it has. How reliable is it? Does is show restaurant's? Any other information? I heard the 2004 will be DVD based, is this true? Thanks in advance

·
like ma bell, i got the...
1,225 Posts
i have a 2003 and it's DVD ... i think it has been DVD since 02.

functionality is so-so. part of the problem is that BMW provides a disc from '02 so a lot of stuff that's new or relocated isn't 'there'

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious, but if it's DVD couldn't you buy better DVD map software?

·
Registered
250 Posts
dvd-nav is pretty easy to use once you get used to it, but it does take a little while to get really comfortable using it. SUGGESTION: DON'T TRY TO OPERATE IT WHILE DRIVING UNTIL YOU ARE REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH IT!!! Riven-it won't work unless you used the discs from bmw. otherwise it will say disc read error or something along those lines

·
Registered
63 Posts
cd based nav in 2002

I have the 2002 Nav with the wide screen...it is cd based. Sometimes in works ok other times it really sux. For the money, it should have been DVD based, faster, and more up to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My M3 was delivered at the end of August with the DVD navigation. They gave me the 2002-2 CD version. I spoke to my sales rep who referred me to BMW Canada. They sent me a DVD and apologized for not giving it to me right away. The DVD is fast and has a lot of info. The info is based on what the places give to NavTech.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have the nav sys too.
i use it often when i travel.
yes, it does show restaurants.
you can even *search* for say, specialty stores with "xxx" in the name - with in say 25 mi of your location.
i used that feature to find a walmart i was looking for (middle of the night - only thing i thought was open) once on a trip...
i think it's a little more sophisticated than the average person needs.
you can name places (based on their lat/long) and save them in your "address book"...
that goes on some harddrive, because in germany i saved a handful of places, and now that im in the states, those places are still in my address book...
you can find shopping centers (malls), banks, bmw places, restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc.

if i remember correctly, the 2002 dvd is the most recent dvd that nav-tech has put out. i had to order a usa dvd when i moved back to the states, and asked when the next release will be - they indicated early 04 - jan maybe.
so save your dough - they're like $215!
:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I love the nav system in my car. It takes so much stress off the driver when you can concentrate on driving and just let the car tell you where to go. I dont know if its DVD or CD, my car is an 02 but I haven't gone out of CA with it. Every car should have this once the technology comes down.

You can use it while you're driving, just be careful ;)

Also, for anyone who can help, my family's 02 X5 has the nav system and it gives that warning screen when you turn the car on every time. Its really annoying to press accept, is there anyway to bypass that? My m3 screen just turns on, no warning screen.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow that's weird. My 04 330cic has the warning screen every time I start the car. I thought they all did this - surprised to hear your M3 does not.

Anyone know how to bypass this???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts