BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my trunk release stops working a week ago. Slight annoyance and I attribute it to the factory alarm system install since I didn't get around to coding it to the car. I get that taken care of, and no go. The cluster is showing my trunk lid is open when it's definitely closed, preventing my convertible top from going down! I get nothing from the remote, the trunk release handle, the interior trunk release button.. nothing. So I bring out the GT1 and run a scan..

and this pops up:

okay, so WTF does that mean. Well, I do the lazy thing and run to the dealership and buy a new trunk latch. That doesn't work. So, I run a test plan and it says I either have a faulty General Module, or wiring issue.

I start my search the cheapest and easiest way possible and here is what I found!

um ya

so, I got the ol' soldering gun out and patched 'em up

Then I wrapped everything in a couple layers of electrical tape to hopefully prevent the rest of the wires from breaking off. I can only assume this is because that little bellows thing gets crunched up and down from normal use of the trunk.

It's a horrible design, and if you watch the trunk close, you can see that wiring harness get pinched almost between the trunk and the seal.

I would pull your bellows out and do a quick inspection of your wires to make sure they aren't starting to be exposed or break like mine. Then reinforce them with some electrical tape or shrink wrap so this doesn't happen to you... and that's my E46-related P.S.A. for the week! :harv:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the head-ups. :thumbup:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,823 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbup: x2
I wonder if the cabrio is a little different in it's design than the coupe since it has a different trunk??

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbup: x2
I wonder if the cabrio is a little different in it's design than the coupe since it has a different trunk??
It's exactly the same. In fact, I had about 6 wires broken in there. My trunk release and one of the reverse lights had stopped working before we discovered the broken wires.

BTW the "open trunk light" was on too even though the trunk was shut tight, and you can't put down the top when that light is on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
This might seem an amateurish question, but how do you remove the carpeting on the trunk lid to get to the wiring? I have the same issue with the trunk showing as "open" so the convertible top will not go down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
So, my trunk release stops working a week ago. Slight annoyance and I attribute it to the factory alarm system install since I didn't get around to coding it to the car. I get that taken care of, and no go. Not from the remote, the trunk release handle, the interior trunk release button.. nothing. So I bring out the GT1 and run a scan..

and this pops up:

okay, so WTF does that mean. Well, I do the lazy thing and run to the dealership and buy a new trunk latch. That doesn't work. So, I run a test plan and it says I either have a faulty General Module, or wiring issue.

I start my search the cheapest and easiest way possible and here is what I found!

um ya

so, I got the ol' soldering gun out and patched 'em up

Then I wrapped everything in a couple layers of electrical tape to hopefully prevent the rest of the wires from breaking off. I can only assume this is because that little bellows thing gets crunched up and down from normal use of the trunk.

It's a horrible design, and if you watch the trunk close, you can see that wiring harness get pinched almost between the trunk and the seal.

I would pull your bellows out and do a quick inspection of your wires to make sure they aren't starting to be exposed or break like mine. Then reinforce them with some electrical tape or shrink wrap so this doesn't happen to you... and that's my E46-related P.S.A. for the week! :harv:
Its going to break again!! You need to extend the wires and tuck them into the trunk as you have no flex at the solder or but joints you uses and it will break in short order. BTW a correct fix is a proper connector and shrink wrap solder makes the wire more suceptable to breakage and can cause a slight voltage drop not that big a deal on this ciruit however on a airbag it would set a code.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
You think only BMW has this issue??? any wiring subjected to alot of up and down movemtn will wear its a simple wear and tear item. I have done repair like that on just about any car you can imagine

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
You sucessfully installed the download version of the GT1, I plan on trying it this weekend

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
its easy go to www.bmwtis.com get any J3534 pass through tool and you have a full gt1 for $30 per day

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hello
This might seem an amateurish question, but how do you remove the carpeting on the trunk lid to get to the wiring? I have the same issue with the trunk showing as "open" so the convertible top will not go down.

Thanks!
There are a dozen or so grey plastic fasteners that you extract the middle from; then they come out. Also, the toolkit's hinges are secured with camouflage screws that blend into the carpet.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You think only BMW has this issue??? any wiring subjected to alot of up and down movement will wear its a simple wear and tear item. I have done repair like that on just about any car you can imagine
I agree with this completely:

Take for example, the door wiring harnesses for just about every single Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee made from the late 1980's to 2004. I have probably seen hundreds of inoperable speakers, power locks, power windows, etc. due to crappy engineering on these vehicles alone.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
damn that sucks. thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
165 Posts
crazzy i wish i had a GT1, anyway thank for the heads up! my trunk release stopped working ages ago but i never really got around to goin to the stealership and checkin up on that since i always just double clicked the door unlock button lol x.x

·
Registered
71 Posts
My trunk release doesn't work either. Not even from the release button inside the car. But it does work from the button on the key. Would this be related?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts