BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
start with factory specs. then take careful note of over/understeer for your driving style. then adjust accordingly. but adjust only ONE setting at a time. camber is the easiest setting to change. this alters your straight-line stability VS. mid-turn stability. turn-in and SLS will suffer from too much neg (-) camber, while cornering speed increased.

one of these will come in very handy for setting camber.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=1206&iorb=4764

toe is easy to set with two large straight-edges and some string. toe also has similar effects on STS and cornering as camber.

do alot of research first. read read read. youll need to know exactly what your changing and for what reasons before you start wrenching.

and dont forget about corner-weighting..

good luck.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, I was thinking of just tinkering with pre adjusted settings, but I don't have the tools and resources to do such so I actually have to go to shops and get my car realligned. So it's kinda like a one shot thing, I dont want to end up dishing out 100 bucks every time for a realignment. Is there some sort of machine alignment shops use to like punch in numbers and the spring type to cough out some nice setting? Comfort is my main issue.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
if you know your factory settings id say an additional -0.25 deg of camber would be safe; giving a sportier setting for corners, while not affecting tire wear dramaticly. toe, perhaps one additional degree of toe-out front; again, slight improvement in cornering, not to hard on the tires. but if comfort is your main concern, id keep the factory settings, including ride height. im guessing your car is at least lowered, if not on coils, so a little edge is what your looking for. search for what camber, toe-in/out, caster do. realize what trade-offs your willing to deal with. id say youll need two alignments, one to "try it out" and one to tune it slightly better. but now youre looking at $220, about the same price of the camber gauge. and with a little research, you can learn how to shadetree your whole kit, making all the adjustments you like, for free. but you can get it close on one shot at the alignment garage, and learn the new setup. hmmm....choices..

dth?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hrmm very good point :bow:

yeah my car is just lowered on H & R sports springs. My car is an XI so it started high to being with. I basically got the springs and koni shocks to get rid of the 4 x 4 gap and haven't gotten an alignment since since my current set of tires were unevenly worn to begin with. Now that I'm thinking of getting a new set I realized that I wanna keep my new tires as good of condition for as long as possible.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
There are only 5 factory alignment settings - Standard, Sport, AWD, rough road, and M3.

All cars with the sport suspension, which includes all the coupes and all the 330i's as well as the ZHP's use the same alignment "sport" alignment settings.

Lots more info can be found here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search.php

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
take it easy there buddy, I've been on this forum for nearly as long as you are so dont give me crap about the search function. I'm aware of how annoying it gets but do you realize how many crappy threads are made about the same question with ppl who think they know s#$ contribute useless crap only resulting in a use less thread to the point ppl have create more threads about the same topic. It makes searching long and tedious. Only reason I created this thread was to get a direct answer after 2 hours worth of searching and having nothing that would answer my question. I appreciate your direct anser about the 5 factory alignment settings but coulda done without the smart remark.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Sorry if you were offended - it just look like you needed some help.

Regarding your 2 hours of fruitless searching - try this for a shortcut to the results you want - use the advanced search function for "sport alignment specs" and select the "General E46 Forum" only. The first thread is a long discussion of 330xi suspension options which you may find interesting. In the second thread "pulls left..." you'll find the specs attached. You'll also find some decent info in the other 23 threads on the first page of results.

"Not by age but by capacity is wisdom acquired." - Titus Maccius Plautus

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a question and you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. I used the search forum and no hard numbers.

I know each car varies, but what alignment would properly suit my need??

I have a Sport Package with H&R sport springs 3 and will be mounting CSL 19x8.5 up front and 19x9.5 on 235/35 and 265/30 rubber. I would like to take it to the dealer for an alignment (dealer I really trust) and want to tell them what I would like as far as an alignment goes.

Factory the vehicle is 325i sport package that originally came with the 17's.

What would you guys recommend?? Thank you for your response in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts