E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Say hello to my lito fren
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas,

I waited about 2 weeks for my KW v2 coils to settle, and thus, after spending 3 hours with the top aligner around town (he is known by many shops as the man for bimmers and mercedes), here are the findings:

Rear Axle
The KW settings for the rear were at 95% of the maximum height (scary to think what it would be with it lowered all the way), and I could see some considerable negative camber. Thus we spent some time adjusting all the settings, and here are the results:

Rear: Left
Camber
Before: -1.9 deg (spec was -1.8 <=> -1.3)
After: -1.5 deg
Toe
Before: 0.16 deg (spec was 0.08 <=> 0.18)
After: 0.10 deg

Rear: right
Camber
Before: -1.6 deg
After: -1.4 deg
Toe
Before: 0.11 deg
After: 0.12 deg

Front Axle
The KW settings for the front were at 50% of the maximum height, and that left me with about 1/3 of a finger gap or so, which looked sooo tight. Anyways, when I looked carefully, I noticed that I also had some negative camber going in the front, so He went ahead and tried to adjust it....BUt there was a problem! He went to the maximum adjustment on the car, and he couldn't get the car within BMW specs....Thus, here are the best results we got after playing with it for a while:

Front: Left
Camber
Before: -1.5 deg (spec was -0.7 <=> 0.0)
After: -1.2 deg
Toe
Before: 0.11 deg (spec was 0.05 <=> 0.18)

Front: right
Camber
Before: -1.7 deg (spec was -0.7 <=> 0.0)
After: -0.9 deg
Toe
Before: 0.21 deg (spec was 0.05 <=> 0.18)

Notice that although it improved, the right side is almost ok (just barely off spec) but the left side is definitely messed up...Part of the discrepancy is that probably I don't have the height setup exaclty alike (although I measured it), but still, the main conclusion is this: If you are going to eliminate most of the gap in the front of your car using KWs or any other coil system, you will need a camber kit for the front!! I guess I will roll around for a while and see how the car does, and perhaps for my next set of tires I will need to get a camber kit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have my KW V2s on order right now, but before I install them, I plan to get the TMS RSM and RE Rear Control Arms to dial out the camber, but who makes a camber kit for our fronts? Which KWs do you have?

If you don't me asking, how much did the alignment cost? TIA.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Good info! If you're a performance-minded driver, don't change a thing! Stock recommendation dictates too little front negative camber and attributes to understeer. I'm on stock sport suspension and I intentionally maxed out the negative camber on the front to -0.8 degree. The car indeed behaves more neutrally now. Before I did the alignment I would get excessive wear on the outside shoulders! Having more negative camber will alleviate that.

·
Say hello to my lito fren
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's true.....but -0.8 compared to -1.2 is a big diffrerence! We will see...I like the way my car drives now, but I don't want to spend $$ every 6 months chaning tires!

As far as getting the camber kit, Bavarian auto and others sell them, so I am sure you can choose whichever...I will prolly talk to Samir at Renn-sport to get mine

Yes, I have the KW v2 (which should have been obvious from the post, given that V1's only have height adjustment).:dunno:

·
Registered
131 Posts
ssabripo said:
that's true.....but -0.8 compared to -1.2 is a big diffrerence! We will see...I like the way my car drives now, but I don't want to spend $$ every 6 months chaning tires!

As far as getting the camber kit, Bavarian auto and others sell them, so I am sure you can choose whichever...I will prolly talk to Samir at Renn-sport to get mine

Yes, I have the KW v2 (which should have been obvious from the post, given that V1's only have height adjustment).:dunno:
OOps.. read it too fast.. miss the first line.

kewl beans.. will do some more research before buying my camber kits. Thanks for the good info. :thumbup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check with H&R they are coming out with(or it may be out already), a product called "Tripple C camber adjustment bolts" one of their techs told me about them a couple weeks ago. He said suggested retail is 37.50(I'm guessing thats per corner?). Plus they also are coming out with strut braces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts