BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for an alignment today to the shop just up the street and they told me that "they could't align the rear wheels at all, and it required me to take it to the dealer and have them do it because it might require parts"
This didn't seem right to me, has anyone heard of this before? I have posted an attachment of the print out from the alignment machine.

any recommendations?
thanks,
bryce

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
there are special tools required to set rear toe on our cars, likely this shop didn't have them, they aren't jerking you around, rather giving you the best service they can.

They could've set your rear camber though from looking at the printout, it's just an eccentric bolt on the rear lower arms. They really should've just sent you to the dealer as an alignment is to be done in this order: rear camber, rear toe, front caster (usually not adjustable), front camber, front toe

·
Registered
302 Posts
Im currently looking to get an alignment on car as well since i just replaced my suspension. Im trying to find a good shop around fresno but its so hard, at least i know where i will not go. Let me know if you go to another shop and what kind of job they do. I just dont want to pay someone for a service they can't even do properly. GLW your alignment

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to the shop I use for all of my service work (Bailey European in Fresno) and he sends his alignment work to the Discount Tire just down the street (different location from the one I went to), so I am going to go there on Saturday and see if they can do it. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
front aligment problems

I have a 2001 325CI which I took to Pepboys for aligment, now Rt front wheel has to much (-) camber and I was told that I need a front camber kit in order to properlly adjust it. At this moment I have a vibration when driving at any spped. Has any body had the same problem ??? please help ?????

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bmwkid09,
How did the alignment go? Hope it went well, I've been really busy lately and still haven't done the alignment. I'll be getting mine done this weekend hopefully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG- INFUSE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like they simply didn't know how to do it. Rear toe is adjusted by loosening front attachment of rear trailing arm (3 bolts), pull/push laterally to adjust, then tighten.

Btw, bmw calls for alignment to be done with weight in the car, something like 150 lbs, LF, RF, 40 lbs trunk, full tank, etc. Perhaps they realized that in the middle. Try getting the car into spec without weight and you're lookin at -2.x deg camber rear unladen, which is too much for a street car. An experienced tech would know what the equivalent camber would be, something like -1 camber front, -1.5 rear.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts