BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a $600 quote to install my suspension kit. (too high, I know)

The mechanic said it's a lot more than other places quote because the BMW needs to be "sandbagged" for the alignment. I'm sure he means weight needs to be added to certain points to acheive the correct results.

Is this true? Are shops who don't do this doing it wrong? I've had prev. alignments done for right around $60 on this car with no issues. My tires wear fine, steering is arrow straight, negative camber looks right for a BMW.

Just looking for someone to fill in the blanks. This guy is not doing the install but he got me curious about the alignment terms.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

·
• DFW •
2,754 Posts
I just want to thank jpr and all the other techs that have provided good info. I just got an alignment today after my mechanic changed out tie-rods trying to get to a front end rattle that I have over bumps. so anyway, :thanks:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Bear in mind you don't need the weights to do an alignment - you only need them to match the alignment readings as given by the BMW specs.
More reading here -
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=436527
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=296171
Just noticed I left an important word out of the prior post, corrected in bold above. Hopefully people were able to read between the lines, but my apologies for any confusion I may have sown.

I just want to thank jpr and all the other techs that have provided good info. I just got an alignment today after my mechanic changed out tie-rods trying to get to a front end rattle that I have over bumps. so anyway, :thanks:
You're certainly welcome. It was a bad alignment experience that first led me to this forum and I've since become a bit obsessive on the issue. But the nice doctor has a pill he says can help me...:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
ive never aligned my car with the weigths and it seems to do pretty good and go straight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts