BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my UUC slot pkg (sways & springs) last week. I noticed a little pull to the right after the install, so I had an alignment done. They told me that they were able to adjust the toe in the front, but can not adjust the cambers cuz they are not adjustable in the front. They said that I will still notice a pull to the right because of the cambers being off due to my lowering of the car. Does this sound right to you guys? Am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Sponsor
90 Posts
As a general rule, after making any changes to your ride height, or even just disassembling/reinstalling a McPherson strut, an alignment is not an option - it is mandatory. When you are altering the very components that determine your suspension geometry, of course your alignment will be off.

Your shop is correct that front camber on the E46 is non-adjustable. It wasn't adjustable before you installed the springs, and it isn't adjustable now. There are production variances on each car that BMW makes, and there are acceptable variances in side-to-side geometry and aliggment.

However, your shop is incorrect to say that the camber variance is due to a suspension modification. When new, your car did not have identical left and right camber. Some cars are closer than others. Lowering the car has changed the static control arm position, so although ou now have more static camber, the side-to-side difference is still due to the production variance your car had when it was built.

If you are experiencing a problem with steering control, you should be aware that the nature of negative camber is to reduce contact patch and cause the car to tramline more. As a possible solution, consider that your tires may have an uneven wear characteristic that is a strong contributor to what you are feeling.

- -Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Matt.
Question, I installed the springs myself, could the alignment issue be due to the chance that I may not have seated the front springs in their struts exactly the same on both sides? During the install, I seated them as close to the same spot as the stocks as possible, but while I was uncoiling the springs, they may be off in comparison to each other by an inch or so.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
jlam said:
Just installed my UUC slot pkg (sways & springs) last week. I noticed a little pull to the right after the install, so I had an alignment done. They told me that they were able to adjust the toe in the front, but can not adjust the cambers cuz they are not adjustable in the front. They said that I will still notice a pull to the right because of the cambers being off due to my lowering of the car. Does this sound right to you guys? Am I missing something?

Thanks
What were your before and after alignment numbers? Did you get a printout with camber and toe numbers?

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts