BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone in another thread pm'd me about my headliner. Figured I would make a thread about it in General Forum.
What happened is my slicktop's headliner started to sag. It's usually garage stored overnight, but could not that summer month. So not sure if it was the heat, the heat shock, or just it's age. Slicktop headliner is also closer to the roof's metal so not sure if that's a factor or not.
Anyway BMW ///M offered an option on the interior with the M5 E39 that got the whole headliner done in Alcantara. Wish they had offered it on the M3 during same years but they didn't. It's been currently offerend on other models for a while. Most sport cars use it from Astin Martin, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes AMG, Lamborghini, etc. So it's popular in the sport car and high end luxury car market. I really like the look, so since I had to fix anyways figured bite the bullet and have it upgraded.
It's anthracite color which is a black charcoal similar to the factory M3 cloth interior but a tad lighter. Alcantara is a man made suede/micro suede type material. There are some other good materials like it that Ford and others use "Dinamica" so you don't have to pay the price for genuine Alcantara if you don't want. Just be sure to get a high end material that doesn't fade, scratch easy or mold. You'll want foam backed material for the headliner for sure. You can use either the foam backed or non-foam backed for the pillars. I think foam backed stretches easier around edges, but sometimes you don't want the material thick. Especially at the A pillar airbag cover strip.
There is a darker shade of Alcantara too. I went with anthracite because it's what ///M uses. I wanted it to look as stock BMW as possible and it's matches my steering wheel and shift knob.
Anyhow here is the page link to it in my build thread showing it installed. Hope it helps anyone with ideas about doing it...
My TiAg M3 Mod Progress Thread

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sag is caused by a mix of age and radiation/heat The glue just breaks down over time with heat and sun radiation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Seeing yours previously may be what inspired me to change the material on mine. I have a light beige interior and used beige suede from a headliner material supplier online. Color match was near perfect and I was very happy with the results. Unfortunately pulled it and the sunroof out in favor of room for a helmet.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,879 Posts
Nice job! Who done it and for how much?
I'm DIYing. Finished the last of my pillars last night, alarm cover and sunroof motor cover tonight, then have to round up some extra hands to help wrangle fabric when I do the headliner itself. I might try a coupe headliner by myself, but a touring has a lot of fabric up there!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm DIYing. Finished the last of my pillars last night, alarm cover and sunroof motor cover tonight, then have to round up some extra hands to help wrangle fabric when I do the headliner itself. I might try a coupe headliner by myself, but a touring has a lot of fabric up there!

nice, are those black alcantara or black cloth? I think the black might not show touch prints as easily. although once brushed you really don't touch it. i left the touch prints in my photos to show texture/nap of the alcantara.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cheaped a little bit and went microsuede rather than real deal alcantara.
the microsuedes have some good alternatives well worth the cost savings and look imho.
just make sure it's rated against fading in sun.

Reactions: VpointVick

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
If you guys stripped the pillar covers to bare plastic (not just peeling off the top fabric layer, but everting) before gluing new material, how did you do it?
I have a length of anthracite fabric sitting at home, but haven't figured out a way to get rid of the old material...

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,879 Posts
If you guys stripped the pillar covers to bare plastic (not just peeling off the top fabric layer, but everting) before gluing new material, how did you do it?
I have a length of anthracite fabric sitting at home, but haven't figured out a way to get rid of the old material...

You do need to get the backing off too. Trying to apply contact cement to the top of it doesn't give a good bond and you'll be redoing it soon.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts

You do need to get the backing off too. Trying to apply contact cement to the top of it doesn't give a good bond and you'll be redoing it soon.
Thank you.

Yes, I figured out the backing needs to go as soon as I saw the new fabric.

Is this a brass wire brush?
Is it difficult to remove the backing without damaging the plastic?

I will give this a try, first with dremel-mounted brushes I have, then will buy a larger one if sucessful.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,879 Posts
Thank you.

Yes, I figured out the backing needs to go as soon as I saw the new fabric.

Is this a brass wire brush?
Is it difficult to remove the backing without damaging the plastic?

I will give this a try, first with dremel-mounted brushes I have, then will buy a larger one if sucessful.
It's a steel bristle cup brush. I had no problem with it overheating or biting in to the plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts